Students who wish to enroll in the LSU School of Music’s graduate program must be admissible to Louisiana State University Graduate School and successfully pass an audition with the School of Music. These two steps occur simultaneously.
Visit the LSU Graduate School to apply online.
What you'll need:
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample(s)
- International Students must submit TOEFL, IELTS or PTE scores. These exams are waived for those international
applicants who have already completed a degree (Bachelor or Masters) from an accredited
university in the United States. Required scores:
- A TOEFL score of 550 on the paper exam, 213 on the computer exam, or 79 on the internet exam, or better.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5.
- A minimum PTE score of 59.
- Note: The ETS institution code for the LSU Graduate School is 6373.
Once your application is submitted* to the LSU Graduate School, Performance Applicants may fill out the audition form for the School of Music below.
- For pre-screened areas, such as Choral Conducting, or Wind Conducting, auditions will be scheduled by invitation only.
- Voice applicants are still required to complete this Audition Request Form, so the admissions office knows their preference should they pass the prescreening round.
Every effort should be made to complete this request form two weeks prior to your desired date. Audition date requests submitted less than two weeks from the date are subject to availability and are not guaranteed.
Applicants can elect for a Recording Audition preference in the Audition Request Form. The recording MUST be a video and submitted via your application portal. Academic Applicants will need to request an interview directly with the faculty via email. The area coordinators are in the Audition and Portfolio Requirements link.
*Note: You do not have to be formally accepted to the Graduate School to begin the audition process. You only need to have submitted an application.
Submit supplementary documents through your application portal, if applicable:
- Pre-screening recordings/videos
- GRE scores are required for all PhD applicants
Diagnostic examinations in music theory and music history are required of all incoming graduate students, except those who received a Master’s degree from the LSU School of Music within the preceding four years and are entering a doctoral program.
Graduate Degree Programs
The LSU School of Music offers a wealth of graduate-level studies across all disciplines and levels of instruction. The information below is for planning purposes only, and does not replace student’s individual catalog and degree audit requirements upon entering the School.