Students who wish to enroll in the LSU School of Music’s graduate program must be admissible to Louisiana State University Graduate School and successfully pass an audition with the School of Music. These two steps occur simultaneously.
Visit the LSU Graduate School to apply online.
What you'll need:
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample(s)
- International Students must submit TOEFL, IELTS or PTE scores. These exams are waived for those international
applicants who have already completed a degree (Bachelor or Masters) from an accredited
university in the United States. Required scores:
- A TOEFL score of 550 on the paper exam, 213 on the computer exam, or 79 on the internet exam, or better.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5.
- A minimum PTE score of 59.
- Note: The ETS institution code for the LSU Graduate School is 6373.
Once your application is submitted to the LSU Graduate School, you may fill out the audition form for the School of Music below. For all pre-screened areas (Voice and Wind Conducting), auditions will be scheduled by invitation only. All others will be scheduled 2 weeks prior to the audition date.
Note: You do not have to be formally accepted to the Graduate School to begin the audition process. You only need to have submitted an application.
Alternative dates may be requested - please denote the relevant option on the audition form, and you will be contacted directly regarding an audition date.
Live auditions are strongly encouraged. However, applicants that are unable to audition live may submit video recorded auditions. The recording MUST be a video and submitted via your application portal.
Submit supplementary documents, if applicable:
- Pre-screening recordings/videos
- GRE scores: required for all DMA & PhD applicants, as well as all Music Theory and Musicology applicants.)
Diagnostic examinations in music theory and music history are required of all incoming graduate students, except those who received a Master’s degree from the LSU School of Music within the preceding four years and are entering a doctoral program.
Graduate Degree Programs
The LSU School of Music offers a wealth of graduate-level studies across all disciplines and levels of instruction. The information below is for planning purposes only, and does not replace student’s individual catalog and degree audit requirements upon entering the School.