Career & Major Resources for Incoming Students
Career decision making is an important first step for all incoming students. After exploring career options, you will feel more confident choosing a major, attending orientation, and scheduling courses each semester. The LSU Olinde Career Center offers a variety of resources for discovering interests, exploring major and career options, and identifying next steps for achieving career goals. We have outlined a few resources below for recently accepted LSU students.
3 Steps for Exploring Majors and Careers
To be well-prepared for major and scheduling conversations you will encounter at orientation, all students are encouraged to take the following steps:
- Take the free, online TypeFocus Career Assessment to explore your interests as they relate to majors and careers. Register your TypeFocus account here using Your Access Code “LSUBR2020” and your LSU email address, including @lsu.edu. See more details below on the TypeFocus.
- Explore majors at LSU organized by interest areas.
- Use our 5 Steps to Discovering Your Major and Career guide to help you with your major and career decision.
Additional Resources for Career and Major Exploration
What Can I Do With This Major? Whether exploring multiple majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this site will help you connect majors to careers.
- O*NET Online and OOH - This website contains detailed descriptions of the world of work helpful in exploring careers.
- Four-Year Career Plan - Use this helpful guide to get your career on track from the start with tips and tasks for each year in college.
- TypeFocus - Understanding your personality type, your interests, along with your values and skills will provide valuable information for considering majors and careers that would likely be a good fit for you. Use the TypeFocus to take the four assessments (Personality, Interests, Values, and Skills). You can save (and print) each section of the report for future reference or for discussion with a career counselor or academic advisor. .
Review additional career decision making and choosing a major resources.
Handshake is LSU's online career system, connecting you to part-time jobs, internships, and full-time jobs for after graduation. You can also schedule appointments with our career coaches in Handshake to discuss your internship or job search, graduate school options, or majors and careers. Handshake personalizes career recommendations based on your interests and network, helping you discover new opportunities, companies, on-campus events— and build a meaningful career.
Incoming students will have Handshake accounts created for them on June 15. After this date, students can login using their myLSU credentials on the Handshake website, or the Handshake Jobs & Careers app.