Welcome to the Center for Freshman Year
The University College Center for Freshman Year (UCFY) is the academic unit for most new freshmen and some transfer and re-entry students. Our mission is to prepare incoming students for success at LSU and to help define their academic and career goals. Students typically exit the Center at the conclusion of the freshman year and enter one of the degree-granting senior colleges at LSU. Some students may be granted additional time for enrollment if they have not yet declared a major.
Important Spring 2020 Dates
|April 13||Monday||Final date for resigning or dropping courses with a ‘W’, and final date to request rescheduling a final examination when three examinations are scheduled in 24 hours, deadline 4:30 p.m. (UCFY students must see a counselor to drop classes or resign)|
Beginning Monday, March 16, the Center for Freshman Year (UCFY) will assist students through email and virtual appointments (Zoom).
The deadline to drop a class with a “W” grade or resign for the semester is April 13, 2020 by 4:30pm. If you would like to drop a class with a “W” grade or resign for the semester, this can be done through email to firstname.lastname@example.org using your LSU email account. State that you would like to drop a class or resign, and your email will be forwarded to an advisor for review and processing.
Virtual appointments can be made for the following reasons:
- Degree audit review and questions
- Scheduling Assistance
- Changing your major or minor
You can make a virtual appointment with a UCFY advisor by using the Navigate app on your phone:
- Select the "Appointments" widget
- Select “Academic Advising” for the care unit
- Select “Center for Freshman Year” for the location
- Select your reason for the appointment
- Note in the Comments box what you are needing assistance with and include your phone number and intended major/concentration
- Lastly, select the day, time, and advisor
- The app will send you a confirmation email/text to let you know the appointment has been created. The advisor you scheduled your appointment with will email you prior to the appointment time in order to invite you to join a Zoom video/audio appointment and to send you important documents. You can communicate with your advisor via email if you have any questions or concerns about the Zoom appointment.
Students may send an email:
If you have questions, you can send an email to email@example.com and a counselor will respond to you within two business days. Alternatively, you can send an email to a specific counselor by clicking on Staff Directory under Academic Advising on this webpage and finding their email address.
All other inquiries will be answered during regular office hours of 8:00 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday in the order they are received.
Meet with an Advisor
Office Location & Hours:
150 Allen Hall
8:00 am–4:30 pm
All UCFY students are required to download the Navigate Student App on your iPhone
or Android Phone which can be used to schedule appointments with counselors and other
features like To-Dos, Study Buddies, Resources,
Holds, and Class Schedule.
At LSU, we’re family and care deeply about the well being of our students. LSU CARES is an initiative dedicated to helping students access the resources they need to thrive here.