Financial Mangement Resources
When setting yourself up for financial success, you first have to establish a budget! Here are our steps to get started:
- Open up our free Budgeting Worksheet!
- Track your spending for one month to know your personal spending habits and lifestyle.
- Compare what you actually spent for the month versus your actual income for the month including any extra income you may have received.
- Determine your projected costs and income for the following month based on your actual spending.
- Update your budget regularly and visit our office for tips on better money management!
And if all else fails, just remember not to buy stuff you cannot afford. (Courtesy of SNL.)
Budgeting Apps We Recommend:
If you are thinking about taking out loans for school or are preparing to graduate, be sure to visit LSU Financial Aid for advising on student loans, scholarships and your eligibility!
- Be sure to borrow smart and not take out more loans than you need.
- Look into other sources of aid.
- Use the Repayment Estimator to calculate what you owe and choose the repayment plan that is best for you.
- Visit the Financial Aid office upon graduation for Loan Exit Counseling.
Establishing Proper Credit
- Talk with your parents/guardians about expectations and responsibilities when first getting a credit card.
- Use your credit card for emergencies or purchases that you can pay off on time using your budget.
- Keep track of all purchases in your budget to make sure you build good credit.
- Visit AnnualCreditReport.com to check your current credit score.
- Create savings goals using our free Financial Goals Worksheet so you have something to work toward and help you stay disciplined with your finances.
- Think about also setting money aside for an emergency fund for unexpected occurrences.
- Treat yourself like a bill and ‘pay yourself first.' Instead of waiting to see what you have left over from your income, plan ahead and automatically set aside for your savings account as soon as you can.
Why pay twice? Many students spend money on services, items, events, and activities already available to them at no additional cost or discounted rates. Spend wisely!
No Additional Cost
- Activities and events (holiday, cultural awareness, community service) -- Campus Life; Multicultural Affairs; International Cultural Center
- Bus service and campus transit -- Parking & Transportation
- Car battery assistance (on-campus only) – Parking & Transportation
- Career counseling, assistance seeking internships, resume writing guidance – LSU Olinde Career Center
- Concerts and entertainment (big name acts, movies not-yet-on-DVD) -- Student Government; Student Activities Board
- eTextbooks – Libraries & Collections
- Exhibitions and museums -- LSU Museum of Art; Museum of Natural Science; Hill Memorial Library Special Collections & Exhibits; Highland Road Observatory
- Gym membership (exercise classes, 2-hr bike rental) – University Recreation
- Income tax preparation (HHI <$53k) – Student Financial Management Center
- Leadership training – Campus Life
- Mental health therapy and groups -- Mental Health Service, Student Health Center
- Nutrition counseling and wellness coaching – Wellness and Health Promotion, Student Health Center
- Off-campus housing service – Off-Campus Housing
- Online video courses in software, creative and business skills taught by industry experts (Lynda.com/LinkedIn) – Information Technology Services
- Performances (not all free) -- College of Music & Dramatic Arts
- Rental of computers, digital/video cameras, tripods, phone chargers, clickers (at Library) – Information Technology Services
- Scantrons and bluebooks – Student Government
- Science events -- Science Cafe; Science Saturday
- Software (including Windows, Office, Symantec, much more) – Information Technology Services
- Snacks and coffee – various units (check web, social media and Reveille)
- Sporting events (except football) -- Athletics
- Tutoring and learning strategies -- Center for Academic Success
- Visits to clinicians (Medical Clinic, Women’s Clinic, Specialty Clinic, Mental Health Services) -- Student Health Center
- Writing coaching – Communication across the Curriculum
Low Cost & Discount