Parent & Family Programs Monthly Updates
Below are LSU Olinde Career Center excerpts from the monthly Parent & Family Programs Newsletter.
The new year and semester offer fresh opportunities to move toward a successful and fulfilling career!
Taking these simple steps can help your student move forward:
- Log into their LSU Handshake account. Once logged in, your student can:
- Check out upcoming career events
- Upload their resume for review
- Update their profile
- Search employers and job postings
- Make an appointment to meet with a career professional to coach them on their next step(s). Types of
- Exploring majors
- Career decision-making
- Career assessment review
- Resume review
- Job search coaching
- Interview preparation
- Graduate school decision
Continue exploring the Olinde Career Center website for resources related to:
- Recruiting events and career-readiness programs
- Choosing a major/career
- Career assessments
- Job search
- Graduate school
Stop by the LSU Olinde Career Center in 158 Student Union or call: 225-578-2162.
Office hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
We wish you and your family a healthy and happy 2021!
With the semester break drawing near, now is the time to reconnect, refresh and revitalize (or reboot)
Reconnect: Reconnecting with each other might include conversations about their Fall semester: their experiences, their classes and their plans for the Spring semester. Your student may need an extra dose of support and encouragement.
Refresh: Your student likely needs time to rest and restore mentally and physically. We all need a break from the daily concerns. Encourage each other to find healthy, fun ways to restore your mental, physical and emotional energy.
Revitalize (or Reboot): As you and your student reconnect and refresh, this can help your student revitalize their college and career plan. Semester break offers a fresh start and is a great time to prepare for the Spring semester.
- If your student is still unsure of their major or career path, our 5 Steps to Discovering Your Major and Career is a simple self-guided way to get started. Additional great career decision-making resources can be found in our Explore Your Passions portal.
- Your student might be looking for employment during the Spring semester or an internship in the Summer. Handshake offers connection with job postings and career events.
- Our Job Search resources can help build your student’s readiness for the search.
- The Student Career Guide is a comprehensive, rich resource for the career journey, wherever your student may be.
November is National Career Development Month! It's a great time to find ways to help your student gain information and experiences that empower them in the development of their career. Here are some ways you can encourage your student to reach out to our team for career development this month:
- Understanding Career Decisions: We offer a number of major and career decision making resources through our Explore Your Passions portal. Career assessments are a great place to start.
- Experience: College courses, student organizations, part-time work and summer internships will help your student gain knowledge about themselves and about their career field of interest. Your student can search for opportunities through their LSU Handshake account.
- Communication: Our Job Search resources coach toward strong communication through resumes, cover letters and interviews.
Career Competencies: Your student's time in college offers a variety of opportunities to develop the career skills employers are looking for. Encourage them to identify how they can continue to grow in these 8 competencies identified as desirable by employers
Career development is a life-long process. Our team are here to support your student’s career journey!
Here are some guidelines for your student to Check Out and Check Off for career success:
- Major and Career Decisions - Course scheduling will begin this month, your student
will want to ensure that they are pursuing their best major as they move forward in
- Currently, all of our career assessments are free of charge! If your student is undecided about or struggling in a major, now is the time to take action.
- For an interactive workshop on major and careers, encourage your student to attend one of our upcoming Major Mining Workshops.
- Our 5 Step Guide and our Exploring Majors and Career appointments are other great ways to gain additional insights for these decisions.
- Gain Experience - October is a good time to explore and apply for internships. Many summer internships are scooped up in October and November. Several career networking and recruiting events are happening in October to connect your student to employers who are hiring.
- Develop a Strategy - Students planning to graduate in December or May will want to be taking steps forward on the job search path. We offer resources, workshops, and appointments to help with job search strategy, résumé development and interview preparation.
- Prepare for Graduate or Professional School - We offer web resources and our Workshops to Geaux series. Your student can log in to Handshake to view these event.
Our team is excited to engage your student through programming, events and appointments this semester.
We've got many exciting career-related activities and services to offer this Fall. Here are just a few:
- Career Expo – This 2-day event is a great opportunity for students to explore careers, practice networking with employers, and secure internships and job opportunities for the upcoming year. We are also hosting a handful of events to help your student prepare.
- If your student needs to upgrade their professional wardrobe, check out the SuitUp event with JCPenney for exclusive in-store and online discounts for LSU students.
- 10-Minute Drop-in Appointments for general questions and resume reviews – Mon-Fri, 1:00 – 3:30 p.m. in 158 LSU Student Union.
- Individual Career Appointments – Students can schedule an individual appointment with a career professional on choosing a major, taking career assessments, finding an internship or part-time job, perfecting their resume or interview skills, or simply polishing their job search skills.
- The Four-Year Career Plan is always accessible to students. Those who accomplish the recommended items each year confirm that they are heading in the right direction, immerse themselves in exploring career options and transition seamlessly from college to career success. Check it out!
- Handshake: Students seeking internships, part-time, or full-time jobs should login to our online career platform, Handshake.
Encourage your student to check out the resources and services on the LSU Olinde Career Center website or by visiting 158 LSU Student Union.
Office hours: Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Contact us at 225-578-2162 or email@example.com.
A Crash Course in Student Career Development for Parents and Families:
Are you wondering if your student is on the right career track? Wondering if you should intervene or what kind of advice to give your student? Here are some excellent resources to help. Click the “Family Resources” tab above.
We also have some tips to help your student prepare for and begin a successful year at LSU:
- Ask your student how they are feeling about starting or returning to school. Check in with them about their college major. Are they considering how they will use their learning in a related career?
- Did they check out our website to see our wide range of resources from Major and Career Decision-Making (including 5 Steps to Discovering Your Major and Career and Career Assessments) to Preparing for the Search to our Virtual Career Support?
- Has your student set up their Handshake account - to ensure that they keep up with all the career events and to make an appointment to meet with our career staff?
- Is your students career ready? Students at all academic levels are can prepare themselves for the workforce by enhancing their Career Readiness Competencies. See these videos to learn more!
The encouragement you give your student will help them take their next steps in their career journey!
Our team is offering appointments Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You may also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.