Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access electronic resources off campus?
- Always begin your search at the SVM Library's website
- You must be affiliated with the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine to access resources off site.
Why can’t I access an online article?
- Always begin your search at the SVM Library’s homepage.
- Make sure the article you are trying to access falls within the dates that are available electronically through the SVM Library or the main campus library.
- If you are using an abbreviation to search for a journal title, try spelling out the title.
- If you continue to have problems accessing a resource, call the SVM Library at 225-578-9800, email email@example.com for help, or stop by the Circulation Desk for help.
How do I find articles on a topic?
- Use the database links on the SVM Library homepage to access citation databases.
- Use the Research Databases subject guide for more information.
- Call the SVM Library at 225-578-9800, email firstname.lastname@example.org for help, or stop by the Circulation Desk for help.
Why can’t I access a full text article from a database?
- Make sure that you are using the database links on the SVM Library's website to access databases.
- The library may not have access to every resource retrieved in a citation database's search results.
- Check the Library Catalog to see if the library has the journal publishing the article in its holdings.
- If the catalog shows the resource should be available electronically and you are unable to access the resource, call the SVM Library at 225-578-9800, email email@example.com for help, or stop by the Circulation Desk.
How do I access an article the library doesn’t own?
- Use the Interlibrary Loan service to borrow materials from other libraries. Use the Interlibrary Loan request link within databases or the Interlibrary Loan link under Quick Links on the SVM Library's homepage to make a request.
- You must be a current LSU faculty, staff, or student to use the Interlibrary Loan service.
How do I find a book or journal in the LSU Libraries system?
- Use the Library Catalog to see if any LSU library has a resource and to find its location.
- Use the Accessing Library Resources subject guide for more information.
Where can I find grant information?
- The Scholarly Communications Research Guide contains links to grants and funding databases, as well as links to individual organizations that offer veterinary-related grants and funding.