Incoming Student Events & Orientation
Incoming Student Orientation and Resources
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and in accordance with state and university guidelines,
the incoming student orientation and advising experience will be entirely virtual
leading up to the start of the Fall 2020 semester. Please see the items below for
more information about the process, and make sure to register for all of the applicable
virtual events being offered.
Please see the information on this LSU Orientation page for an overview of the process.
Step 1 – The College of Engineering Student Services team creates your Fall 2020 student schedule.
- Students will receive an email notification through their LSU email once their schedule has been created.
Step 2 – Students review the schedule through myLSU and/or the Navigate app.
- If needed, students can request a one-on-one advising appointment with a staff member through the Navigate app.
Step 3 – Students are encouraged to register for special New Student Events being offered by the College of Engineering throughout the summer.
Step 4 – Students must complete mandatory orientation modules online in June/July.
- Instructions will be sent to students through LSU email.
Also, check out the links to the following resources:
- ALEKS Test instructions (the ALEKS test is a prerequisite for Calculus I)
- College of Engineering Flowcharts
- How to Schedule and Waitlist Classes
- LSU General Catalog
- General Education Course Lists
- Course Search
- Course Offerings
- Early Credit (AP, CLEP, IB scores)
- Tiger Transfer Tables (used to get an idea of what courses may transfer to LSU)
- Recommended Computer Specifications
A Major Decision: Choosing the Right Engineering Degree for You
Thursday, June 11
Not sure which engineering degree to pursue? No worries! Many students enter LSU uncertain about the different engineering degrees LSU has to offer and what path makes the most sense for them. Join us to learn more about all of the options and get tips from engineering staff and students.
I’m From Out-of-State: What’s Geaux-ing on?
Wednesday, June 17
Transitioning into college life can be daunting for any student, but so especially if you’re moving to a new state, city, or culture! Take advantage of this opportunity to hear from current out-of-state students on how they adjusted to the new and unique experiences and rich flavors offered by life at LSU and the College of Engineering.
Getting Involved: Life Outside the Engineering Classroom
Thursday, June 25
You’ll work hard and spend plenty of time mastering coursework as an LSU Engineering student, but don’t forget about all of the ways to get involved outside of the classroom, too. Meet with College of Engineering professional staff and student organizations to learn more about how to get involved as a new LSU Engineering student.
Building a Firm Foundation for Your Career: Advice on Internships and Career Prep for First-Year Engineering Students
Wednesday, July 1
As a first-year student, the start of your career can feel far away, but there’s plenty you can do now and throughout your college education to prepare yourself for landing that first job out of college and starting your career. Meet with Courtney Frost, the College of Engineering’s career coach, to learn more about what you can do to stand out in the crowd and be prepared for “the real world."
Want to learn more about the specifics of your degree and some of the unique things offered by your program? These events will give you the chance to hear directly from faculty advisors, students, and program staff in your degree as you near the beginning of your college career.
Week of July 20
- Monday, July 20 - Industrial Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Monday, July 20 - Chemical Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Tuesday, July 21 - Mechanical Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Tuesday, July 21 - Construction Management Virtual Event Recording
- Tuesday, July 21 - Petroleum Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Wednesday, July 22 - Electrical and Computer Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Wednesday, July 22 - Biological Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Wednesday, July 22 - Civil Engineering Virtual Event Recording
- Thursday, July 23 - Computer Science Virtual Event Recording
- Thursday, July 23 - Environmental Engineering Virtual Event Recording
Working Smarter, Not Harder: Time Management and Study Skills for the LSU Engineering Student
Wednesday, July 29
Two of the most important skill sets that our College of Engineering students prioritize are effective time management and study skills. Meet professional staff and current students to learn more about the support services we offer and how to manage your time as an LSU Engineering student.