Notification of Asbestos Inspections and Management Plan Availability
Management of Asbestos Containing Materials
The management of asbestos containing materials (ACM) located in campus buildings is regulated in compliance with the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) and the Louisiana Administrative Code (LAC) 33:III. Chapters 27 & 51 of the Air Quality Regulations.
Rules for the Proper Handling of Asbestos Containing Material (ACM)
- Only authorized persons can handle asbestos containing material.
- Suspect material that may contain asbestos, should not be touched. Contact EHS or Facility Services and a trained and accredited inspector will assess the situation for potential hazards.
- Prior to the commencement of any work on a project, to determine which requirements of LAC 33:III.5151 (Emission Standard for Asbestos) apply, the owner or operator of a demolition or renovation shall thoroughly inspect the affected building or part of the building where the activity will occur for the presence of asbestos. The inspection shall be performed by an inspector accredited by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. The inspection will identify all asbestos containing material, and all suspect (for asbestos) material involved in the scope of work. All suspect (for asbestos) material is assumed to be asbestos containing, and shall be handled as asbestos containing unless sampling proves otherwise.
- EHS has oversight of occupational and environmental exposure to asbestos. As such EHS is the point of contact (liaison) with the LADEQ to ensure compliance with OSHA and DEQ regulations.
- EHS maintains the LSU Asbestos Management Plan
- Building Coordinators ensure that potential asbestos problems are reported to EHS and Facility Services in a timely fashion.
The asbestos management plan is on file in the LSU EHS office. Should you have any questions regarding the plan, or want to view a copy, please contact LSU EHS at (225) 578-0534 or 578-5640.