The History of the LSU Student Union

Where it all began...

The idea of a college union at LSU was first proposed in the Reveille as early as 1939, but it was not until 1958 that a formal “Proposed Plan for a Student Union at LSU” was submitted to the Board of Supervisors for approval. That same year, a student referendum was conducted in which students voted to self-assess a fee to build a union. After three years of planning, the Board of Supervisors approved the site – the Memorial Oak Grove in the center of the campus, authorized the construction of the facility, approved a $10 student fee, and commissioned the architects. The first director, Carl Maddox, was appointed in 1959, and the first Governing Board of students, faculty and alumni was chosen in 1962-63. Construction began in 1962, and the official ribbon-cutting ceremony to open the new building was on January 6, 1964. During the decades that have followed, hundreds of thousands of students, faculty, staff, alumni and guests have visited the Union, to attend programs and meetings, to shop in the retail stores, have a meal or a cup of coffee with friends, browse in the Art Gallery, check their mail or e-mail, and use a myriad of other services available to them.

The LSU Student Union is now 59 years old! 

The LSU Student Union - blasts from the past

an aerial view of the student union from the past

An aerial view of the current Student Union from the 70s.

The old Bowling alley was once located on the first floor of the Student Union

The old Bowling alley was once located on the first floor of the Student Union.

 Past photo of tiger lair from the 60s
middle of tigerlair vintage photo
outside of the union in the 70s

Outside the front of the Student union in the 60s-70s