Workers' Compensation

Workers’ compensation insurance provides medical and lost time wage benefits to employees who suffer work-related injuries.  Injuries should be reported to the 24-Hour Employee Injury Call Center hotline to speak with a registered nurse. 

Report an injury by calling: 877-764-3574, select menu option 1.

CoVid-19 and Workers’ Compensation Benefits

LSU’s workers’ compensation coverage provides benefits to employees who suffer an injury or illness that is specifically and clearly caused while the employee is in the course and scope of their employment. In most instances, when an employee becomes ill, it is not considered work-related. Such illnesses include but are not limited to a cold, the flu, mononucleosis, meningitis, HIV, or CoVid-19. Although unlikely, there could be circumstances when the facts support that an LSU employee has conclusively been infected by CoVid-19 as a result of being in the course and scope of their employment. If an employee believes this to be the case, they should follow the standard procedures for reporting a work-related injury.


Workers’ Compensation Benefits while Working from an Alternative Work Site

An LSU employee who is performing their work responsibilities at an alternate work location, as approved by their supervisor, may be eligible for LSU’s worker’s compensation benefits. Workers’ compensation coverage is for work-related injuries that occur specifically and clearly in the course and scope of employment.  If a work-related injury occurs at the alternative location, the employee must immediately report the injury to their supervisor and call the CorVel Employee Injury Call Center at (877) 764-3574.  A registered nurse at the call center will help determine the immediate medical needs of the employee. 

By agreeing to work at an alternative location, the employee agrees to permit the University to perform an investigation of a work-related incident at the alternative location. The University will follow the standard procedures as related to the investigation and inspection of the incident. Please note that this may mean allowing a University representative direct access to the alternative location, including an employee’s home. Employees shall have and maintain a healthy and safe work environment at the alternative work location.


  • Immediately notify your supervisor or department if you are injured.
  • Call the CorVel 24-Hour Employee Injury Call Center hotline 877-764-3574, select menu option 1.
  • The call center registered nurse will:
    • Talk with you about your injury
    • Determine your immediate care needs
    • Direct you on where to seek medical treatment, if needed
  • The call center will collect basic information from you. (please be patient as the information is required to begin the claim process for you)
  • Soon after your initial call, the CorVel claims adjuster will contact you to walk you through the next steps of the workers' compensation claim process.
  • It is important to keep in touch with your supervisor or department HR staff to inform them on the progress of your claim.
  • You must go to the medical facility where you are directed by the CorVel nurse or adjuster.  (After the initial visit, you will have the ability to select the physician by whom you wish to be treated, following state workers' compensation guidelines.)
  • You are required to obtain written return to work instructions from the treating physician at each medical visit.  The instructions will list any restrictions or limitations on work activity due to your injury, or noting that you are able to return to work full duty without limitations.
  • In order for your claim to proceed successfully, please cooperate with CorVel, LSU Risk Management, and your department.

The WC process can be complex.  If you have questions or need assistance, contact:

  • Your CorVel adjuster, per contact information provided to you.
  • LSU Risk Management, email us or call, 225-578-3297
  • Your Supervisor, who will help you to find answers or assistance.

An LSU student who is employed as a student worker or graduate assistant may or may not be covered by workers’ compensation (WC) depending upon what capacity they were acting in at the time of the incident.

  • Students are not covered by WC for injuries that occur at times when they are acting solely as a student, whether in a classroom, a laboratory, or anywhere else, including at the location where they work as a student worker or grad assistant­­. In such instances, when the student is not acting in a work related capacity, it is the student’s accident or health insurance that may provide coverage (if no insurance is in place, then the student would need to pay for medical treatment with their own money). (Departments who wish assistance in drafting procedures for responding to non-WC student injuries, can contact the Office of Risk Management.)
  • Students are covered by WC for injuries that occur during the time when they are performing their assigned work responsibilities and being paid by LSU as a student worker or graduate assistant. The work-related injury must have occurred within the course and scope of the student’s employment for WC coverage to apply. In such instances, the student is considered an LSU employee, and so the normal employee and department procedures for WC would apply.

More information about LSU’s Workers’ Compensation program and contact information can be found online within this webpage.

Emergencies: Call 911 or LSU Campus Police, 225-578-3231

Do not hesitate to call 911 if there is any uncertainty on whether or not an injury is an emergency.  

Injuries that require emergency treatment include but are not limited to: excessive bleeding, broken bones, deep wounds, loss of consciousness, dizziness, significant burns, loss of sight or hearing.

After emergency treatment, when physically capable, the injured employee should call the CorVel Employee Injury Call Center hotline to speak to the registered nurse: 877-764-3574.  Select menu option 1.  If the employee is unable to complete the call timely, then the employee’s supervisor or department should call the hotline to report the injury

Emergency rooms should only be used for:

  • Emergencies
  • When instructed to go there by the nurse at the Employee Injury Call Center or the medical provider.
  • When no other medical provider office is open due to the time of day or holiday, and the injury requires immediate medical attention.

Reporting the Injury

  • Injured employee reports the incident to their supervisor.
  • Supervisor explains the workers' compensation claim process and instructs the employee to call the Employee Injury Call Center to report the injury and obtain instructions on medical treatment.
  • Employee calls the CorVel Employee Injury Call Center Hotline: 877-764-3574, select menu option 1.
  • Employee talks to the CorVel nurse privately to discuss the injury. (If the employee requests that the supervisor also be on the phone call with the nurse, then this is acceptable.)
  • Employee provides required information to begin the claim process and to be provided with a claim reference number.

Initial Medical Treatment - Speaking with the CorVel Nurse

  • Nurse discusses the injury and obtains basic information for the employee.
  • Nurse evaluates the nature of the injury and determines the employee's immediate medical needs.
  • Nurse instructs the employee on their medical treatment, whether first aid or visit to a medical provider, as follows:
    • First Aid Only: If injury can be treated with on-site first aid, the nurse will instruct employee on what is needed and plan a follow-up call to check on employee (however, if the employee believes they need to see a doctor, then they should tell the nurse).
    • More than First Aid: If more than first aid is required, nurse will direct the employee to LSU's selected medical Provider:
    • Emergency Rooms should only be used for:
      • Emergencies
      • When instructed to go there by the nurse or the medical provider.
      • When no other medical provider office is open due to the time of day or holiday, and the injury requires immediate medical attention.
    • LSU Student Health Center should not be used in place of the above listed providers.  The Health Center's priority is LSU students; they do not have occupational medicine staff.
  • Nurse talks with employee's supervisor, if available, to report plan of action (employee will be assured that supervisor will not be told confidential health information). 
  • Nurse schedules an appointment for the employee with the medical provider and sends a treatment authorization directly to the provider. 
  • Nurse sends the employee a temporary First Fill pharmacy card, if needed.
  • The supervisor should drive the injured employee to and from the medical provider in an LSU vehicle, if available, or assist with finding alternative transportation.  If not possible and the injured employee drives themselves, then the supervisor should ask the employee to notify them when they arrive and leave the medical provider.  

Claim Process after Initial Report and Medical Treatment

  • CorVel claims adjuster will contact employee and explain the claim process.
  • Adjuster, Risk Management, and Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) will investigate the incident, as needed, based on the circumstances of the incident and nature of the injury.
  • Adjuster will manage the claim; working closely with the employee, medical providers, and Risk Management.
  • Adjuster will monitor treatment to assure that it meets the employee's specific needs for a successful recovery.
  • Adjuster will keep Risk Management aware of the progress of the claim.
  • Risk Management will communicate with the department regarding the claim.
  • Supervisor should keep in touch with employee regarding their claim, including when the employee is required to miss work due to their injury.  

An employee who has been unable to work due to their injury will return to their position as soon as possible; based on their medical recovery status and other factors, and subject to relevant LSU, state policies or practices

The department should assist in returning the employee back to their full position or modified duty, including making accommodations when applicable, in compliance with University policy

The claims adjuster and Risk Management will monitor the situation closely, keep the employee and department apprised of the employee’s work status, and collaborate with the department to accomplish a successful return-to-work

The supervisor, department, or injured worker can contact LSU Risk Management for questions regarding an injured employee’s claim status, work capabilities, return to work, absences or leave pay while out on a work-related injury 

An employee who is injured on the job may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, including:

Medical Treatment Benefit – Medical care directly related to the injury, including health provider visits, prescriptions, diagnostic tests, emergency transportation and emergency room visit

  • The CorVel claims adjuster must approve all medical treatment.
  • Prescriptions must be filled at an approved pharmacy using the CorVel Rx Card; a First Fill card will be provided with initial treatment.
  • Mileage cost to and from approved medical treatment may be covered.

 Indemnity Wage Benefit – Payment of a percentage of an employee’s wages lost because the employee is unable to work due to the employee’s injury

  • Covered if the employee is unable to work at least 7 full consecutive or cumulative days after the injury.
  • Covered if treating medical provider provides written documentation removing the employee from work.
  • Calculated based on the employee’s wages for the 4 weeks prior to the injury and are paid at 66 2/3%, subject to the State Maximum and Minimum rates.
  • University regulations require that the injured employee must use available sick time for the portion of wages not covered by workers’ compensation.

 Additional information can be found on the state workers’ compensation website.

LSU Risk Management provides posters and other printed material to departments in an effort to make all employees aware of the workers' compensation claims process. Email us to request to posters and other aids for your department.

LSU Risk Management staff are also available as a resource to departments regarding the workers' compensation program and claim process.  Please contact our office if you would like to request a meeting, informational session, presentation or training. 

The workers’ compensation program at LSU is designed to best serve the needs of the University and its employees.  The program is managed by the LSU Office of Risk Management and administered by CorVel Corporation, one of the nation’s leading claims management organizations.

Office Contact Information
Medical Emergencies - LSU Police 225-578-3231
24 Hour Nurse on Call 877-764-3574
Corvel Julie Constant, Designated Adjuster
Telephone: 504-335-0079
Fax: 866-913-1383
LSU Risk Management Tiffany Mason
Telephone: 225-578-3297

The LSU Workers Compensation team is available to assist with every step of the workers' compensation process to ensure a successful recovery and return to work. Contact us with any questions or need for assistance.