Parade GroundsCourse Enrollment

Typically, international students cannot schedule classes, pay tuition/fees and complete course registration until after they arrive at LSU and attend the necessary orientation programs. (You will learn more about course registration at orientation.)

Failure to timely register for courses will affect your lawful student status with U.S. Immigration and your ability to remain in the U.S. You should be aware that there are three items that must be cleared before you would be able to complete your LSU course registration.

Academic Advising

Immunization Compliance Form

English Placement Test/Oral Proficiency Interview

Note: International Services does not have the expertise to advise on these topics nor the ability to clear any of these registration holds.

After all holds are cleared and you have scheduled your courses, you can complete your course registration by paying your fee bill.

You will be able to pay your fee bill:

  • Through your myLSU account: select Fee Bill under “Registration Services.”
  • In 125 Thomas Boyd Hall with LSU Office of Bursar Operations.

Note: You must ensure that you have completed course registration; otherwise, your class schedule will be purged and you will need to reschedule your classes based on current course availability.

Please be aware the dollar amount on your LSU fee bill may not be the same as the estimated expenses provided to you by International Services (as listed on the I-20/DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility). The I-20/DS-2019 estimates are based on the minimum credit hours for full-time enrollment, which is required to maintain the F-1/J-1 student visa status. You can review the LSU fee schedules for the cost of each credit hour.

Full-time enrollment is required for F-1 and J-1 students during fall and spring semesters:

  • Undergraduate: 12+ hours
  • Graduate: 9+ hours
  • MBA: 13+ hours

Full-time enrollment for summer (6 credit hours) is required only if you are admitted for the summer semester. Otherwise, summer enrollment is optional.

Note: There are two additional fees that all non-immigrant F-1/J-1 visa holders will see on the LSU fee bill. One is a $10 per semester fee for the International Cultural Center (ICC) on campus, and the other is the International Student Service Charge (ISSC).

Academic Advising

  • Graduate students should contact the graduate advisor within the academic department
  • Depending on their classification at LSU, undergraduate students may receive academic advisement through their assigned college:
    1. The Center for Freshman Year (UCFY): for new freshmen and transfer students in the first 24-30 hours of enrollment.
    2. The Center for Advising and Counseling (UCAC): for students who are beyond the 30 hours of enrollment but do not yet meet senior college requirements.
    3. Senior college advising: for those students who have been admitted into their senior college. 

Note: You will not be allowed to register for classes until your academic advisor has received the results of your Michigan English Placement test (unless exempted) and/or the Oral Proficiency Interview results (unless not applicable).

If you are an undergraduate student who was provisionally admitted to LSU, please be aware that you may need to submit your final/official academic records and/or test scores to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions before you would be allowed to register for courses for your first semester at LSU.

Immunization Compliance (vaccines)

Louisiana state law requires proof of dates of immunization (vaccines) against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus-diphtheria and meningitis for all LSU students. You must complete and submit the Immunization Compliance form to the LSU Student Health Center – Immunization Department. The Immunization staff must receive and clear your form before you can register for classes at LSU.

Depending on your country of origin or recent travels, you could require testing and/or treatment for past exposure to tuberculosis (TB). You are strongly encouraged to undergo TB testing/treatment prior to coming to the United States You must provide documentation of TB skin test results, TB blood test results and/or treatment for a positive skin test on LSU’s Immunization form along with attached copies of lab/x-ray reports as requested per Immunization form.

If you wait until you arrive in the U.S. to be tested or treated for TB, you will not be allowed to register for classes until all necessary testing/necessary treatment is complete. This process can take up to 4 weeks and would delay your registration for that same amount of time.

Note: Testing and treatment for TB in the United States can cost you about $550 USD, depending on your test results and any required further medical evaluation. Also as a pre-existing condition, these additional expenses may not be covered by LSU medical health insurance or any other health insurance, so you would pay the cost for testing/treatment from your personal funds.

Again, the completed Immunization Compliance Form should be returned to the LSU Student Health Center – Immunization Department. International Services recommends you keep a copy of the Immunization form for your records and bring the copy with you when you come to LSU in the event that the Student Health Center does not receive it.  Please direct your questions about the form or requirements to the Student Health Center:

Michigan English Placement Test

Most international applicants take the TOEFL or IELTS, which rates English proficiency. (Those scores are submitted as part of the LSU admission application process.) The Michigan English Placement test is used to determine what (if any) additional English writing courses you may need to take while at LSU so that you can be a successful student in all of your courses.

Note: The Michigan English Placement test cannot be administered to you remotely and must wait until you arrive on campus.

For the most part, all graduate and undergraduate non-native speakers of English who are new to LSU are required to take the Michigan English Placement test. However, you may qualify for an exemption of the test if you:

  • are a native English speakers from Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and certain Caribbean islands. (Native speakers will need to sign up for the Residual ACT for English placement, if they do not have an existing ACT score.)
  • are an LSU bilateral or ISEP exchange program participant who is not planning to take an English composition course while at LSU.
  • have a degree from a U.S. college/university.
  • have attended all four years and graduated from a U.S. high school.

Please be aware that International Services staff members do not have the capability to determine if you can be exempt from the Michigan test. Staff from the LSU Department of English will be at International Orientation to answer questions you may have about exemption from the Michigan English Placement test. The exemption must be determined by English Department staff members. 

Graduate and undergraduate students’ (except for exchange students) test includes a written essay section and costs $25. The cost of the test will be added to your LSU fee bill, and the late test fee is $50.

Oral Proficiency Interview (for graduate assistants)

Graduate students with teaching assistantships are required to take the Oral Proficiency Interview prior to beginning any assistantship duties. These students will schedule an interview time at the end of International Orientation. The Oral Proficiency Interview cannot be conducted remotely and must wait until you arrive on campus.