Mandatory Student Medical Health Insurance
All non-immigrant international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to purchase and maintain adequate medical health insurance coverage while they are enrolled at LSU, and the medical health insurance policy must meet LSU’s medical health insurance requirements. Therefore, these students will be automatically charged for and enrolled in the LSU endorsed plan, Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare. However, students may choose an alternate medical health insurance plan to be considered as long as it meets the minimum requirements listed and an on-line wavier request is submitted by deadline date.
The medical health insurance policy must provide coverage for the entire semester dates indicated. Partial coverage is not accepted.
When proof of other approved medical health insurance is submitted by the deadline dates, the charges for the LSU policy will be credited. It is estimated that this will take approximately 10 business days for the credit to appear on the student account. For spring 2020, F and J students may submit their on-line insurance waiver request at UHC/Gallagher. You will find the link to the waiver request under “Student Waive” located at the upper left hand corner. Please note that your coverage must be effective from January 6, 2020 through May 31, 2020 for the spring 2020 semester. The deadline date to submit the on-line insurance waiver is Friday, January 31, 2020 (no exceptions allowed.)
Notice to LSU Sponsored J Student VISA Holders:
LSU sponsored J student visa holders and their J-2 dependent(s), if applicable, are required to have adequate medical health insurance for the entire duration of their program (which includes all dates between semesters.) Proof of other approved medical health insurance coverage is required and must be submitted by the insurance provider. International Services will contact those LSU sponsored J students who have submitted an on-line waiver directly when it is time for the insurance providers to submit proof of insurance to International Services. After receiving proof of insurance, International Services will verify whether the medical health insurance plans meet US Department of State and University requirements and have the appropriate coverage dates. This review is in addition to the on-line insurance waiver portal submission; therefore, this process could take more time. Fee bill credits to student accounts will not appear until this verification is completed.
- As a reminder, if you obtain and/or extend Academic Training (J-1 off campus work authorization) you must extend your medical health insurance policy and repatriation/medical evacuation benefits in order to remain in J lawful status.
Please Note: You must submit an on-line waiver request at the UHC/Gallagher website at the beginning of every semester of registration regardless of the coverage end date stated on previously submitted waiver requests, otherwise, you will not receive a waiver of the LSU insurance charge. All F and J students should request an on-line insurance waiver (if desired), regardless if the LSU student medical health insurance charge appears on their fee bill at that time or not.
The University requires evidence to make sure that international students on F and J visas comply with these insurance rules. There are no exceptions to the medical health insurance requirement!
It is mandatory that all non-immigrant international students who hold F and J visa statuses have medical health insurance which is acceptable to the University.
- This includes part-time and full-time registration. Please note that the 2019-2020 insurance premiums have changed. Under LSU Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan (SASIP), students with F visa status and J visa status will be automatically charged $1645 for the spring/summer 2020 plan. This charge provides students with medical health insurance coverage from January 6, 2020 through August 13, 2020. For those of you graduating in spring 2020 or will not be in the states this summer 2020, the combined spring/summer plan is the only LSU plan available from Gallagher.
- Please Note: Do not select or remove the LSU student medical health insurance plan through MyLSU or Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare online website if you hold F or J visa status since this will cause errors in your fee bill and insurance problems.
- The following students should contact Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare (LSU's
insurance company) directly at 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare to purchase or continue their LSU medical health insurance coverage since they are
NOT automatically charged for LSU's student medical health insurance plan:
- Non-immigrant international students with visa status other than F and J.
- Students who are registered as Degree Only (DO) for spring 2020..
- Students on Optional Practical Training (OPT: F-1) or Academic Training (J-1) who are not enrolled for credit hours.
Medical Health Insurance Card
It is important that you print your student medical health insurance card (ID CARD) to keep with you at all times. ID cards are usually available 5-7 business days after your eligibility is confirmed.
- Go to www.uhcsr.com/MyAccount.
- If you have created a UHCSR Account in the past, log in.
- If you have not created a UHCSR Account, Click “Create Account”.
- Complete the registration form using your name, date of birth, and student ID number.
- Once logged in, you will have access to ID cards, Claim information, EOBs and other plan-related information.
- Again, all F and J visa holders who want LSU's Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan should not select the plan via MyLSU or on-line. This will cause errors on your fee bill and problems with your insurance. You will be automatically billed for insurance on your fee bill each and every semester you are enrolled in courses at LSU.
- All questions concerning waivers, enrollment of dependents, benefits, claims, or billing problems of the assessed insurance should be directed to Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare at: 1-844-288-4920 or visit Gallagher Student Health/United HealthCare.
- If you have LSU’s student medical health insurance, you are always required to first report to LSU’s Student Health Center to see a doctor (except in the case of a medical emergency), or your claims will not be paid. To avoid problems or delays, regardless of your insurance policy, always carry your student medical health insurance card as you would your drivers’ license.