Chemistry & Materials Building
The Chemistry and Materials building opened in October of 2012 and is a five-story, state-of-the-art facility that provides more than 85,000 gross square feet of space and cutting-edge technology for research in chemistry and materials science & engineering. The five-story Chemistry and Materials Science Building expands LSU's research capacity in synthetic chemistry and provides critical infrastructure for interdisciplinary research in materials science and engineering. The building is located on Highland Road across from the French House, the building's appearance is in keeping with the University's Spanish-influenced architecture. The New Orleans architectural firm Lyons & Hudson completed the primary building design with scientific lab expertise provided by Karlsberger Inc. The State of Louisiana provided the funding for the building.
The first floor houses a Shared Instrumentation Facility (SIF) that supports chemistry, materials science and engineering, and other fields such as biology and geology. Four electron microscope suites have been specially designed to be free from electromagnetic interference and are equipped with vibration isolation pads for ultra-high resolution microscopy. Four other laboratories are designated for specimen preparation and include materials instrumentation such as x-ray diffraction, surface characterization and transport measurements. The first floor also includes a large seminar room, office space for support staff and several smaller instrumentation rooms.
Second Through Fourth Floors
The second through fourth floors house laboratories specifically designed for synthetic chemistry and materials science. These floors also include faculty and post doc offices, space for support personnel, instrumentation rooms, and an additional conference room.
The fifth floor is dedicated to materials science and engineering research and features approximately 2,500 square feet of class 1000 cleanrooms for microfabrication. Four additional laboratory modules have been designed with an open, flexible design and are specifically designated for collaborative interdisciplinary research programs.