The mission of LSU's undergraduate computer science program is to provide students with a strong and versatile foundational understanding of computer science through a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Students will be able to draw from their skill sets to solve challenging problems and will possess the fundamental understanding required to build upon their knowledge as the field of computer science rapidly grows and evolves. Graduates of the program will be able to use concepts such as abstraction and complexity analysis to find innovative solutions to problems and orchestrate evolutionary change as applied to the development of software systems and emerging applications.
Program Educational Objectives
The program educational objectives for the B.S. degree candidate in computer science are:
- To apply and continuously acquire knowledge, both theoretical and applied, related to core areas of computer science;
- To solve diverse and unique problems in software design and development processes;
- To work productively as computer professionals (in traditional careers, graduate school, or academia) by:
- Demonstrating effective use of oral and written communication,
- Working competently as a member of a team unit,
- Adhering to ethical standards in the profession.
At the time of graduation, graduates will possess the ability to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.