How much money will I receive for my benefits?

Visit the VA’s Rate Table for up to date information.

When will I receive my VA monthly benefits?

With the exception of advance pay, the VA pays at the end of each benefit month. Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 benefits are required to “verify” their enrollment status on or after the last day of the month. Students may verify by calling the toll-free number (1-877-823-2378) or by accessing the VA WAVE website. Upon verification, the VA will process the payment and send it to the student either by mail or direct deposit. It is highly recommended that students elect the direct deposit option to eliminate lost or stolen checks. In addition, students using direct deposit receive benefits in four or five working days as opposed to seven to ten days by mail.

What do I do if my payment has not come or is late?

Contact the VA directly if you need information about benefit eligibility or payment status. LSU’s Regional Education Office is located in Muskogee, OK. They can be reached by calling: 1-888-442-4551

Are my education benefits taxable?

No, any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the IRS.

I qualify for more than one benefit, which is best?

Visit and input your information into the VA’s Comparison Tool. The Comparison Tool will allow for a comprehensive evaluation of your benefit options at LSU.

How do I transfer my benefits to my dependent?

For more information visit the VA's Transfer of Entitlement website.

What courses will the VA pay for?

The VA does not pay for courses which are not prerequisites or required in students’ degree programs. Students are responsible for ensuring that the courses apply toward their degrees. If they are not sure, they should consult with their academic advisors. If students wish to take courses that are not required, we will certify only the required courses and report a change in status affecting only those courses.

Does VA pay for repeated courses?

VA will pay for repeated courses as long as they are required and the grades previously earned do not meet degree requirements. Enrolling again in a course from which a student withdrew is not considered a repeated course.

Does the VA pay the non-resident fee?

The VA only covers mandatory tuition and fees. The non-resident fee is not considered a mandatory fee and is not covered under the GI Bill.

Can I study Abroad and use my Post 9/11 – GI Bill benefits?

The VA cannot pay any fees specific to studying abroad unless the student is required to study abroad as part of their program. For more information Click Here.

Will the VA pay for tutorial assistance?

Please visit our How To Receive Tutorial Assistance tab for information about the VA's tutoring program.

How much will I pay in fees if I have the Louisiana National Guard Tuition Exemption?

Visit LSU’s Office of Budget and Planning and view the Fee Schedule for the current academic year. The National Guard Tuition Exemption program only exempts you from paying the tuition outlined on this schedule. To calculate your remaining bill, subtract the tuition cost from the Resident Total.

I am a National Guardsmen or Reservist that has been activated during a term. What are my options?

The Board of Regents maintains a policy regarding the mobilization/activation of Reserve and National Guard units. The Office of the University Registrar maintains a chart that briefly outlines the policy. If you have any questions about this policy contact the Office of the University Registrar (registrar@lsu.edu or 225-578-1690).


Does the VA offer work-study?

Information about the VA's work-study program can be found on their Work-Study Website. Eligible students should complete an Application for Work-Study Allowance (Form 22-8691) and submit it to the VA work-study coordinator at the Muskogee Regional Office.

How do I apply to LSU?

A veteran and military student admissions counselor can provide the support you need. For more information visit the Military and Veteran Admissions website. 

I had to take a test for my area of study. Can I use my entitlement to reimburse the associated costs?

Advancing your education often requires you to take costly national tests. You may be eligible for reimbursement from VA. For more information, the application form and eligible tests please visit the VA's Testing Program website.


If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at: va@lsu.edu or 225-578-3103