Professor of Physics
Ph.D., 1994 - Syracuse University
Experimental Condensed Matter and Materials Physics
One grand challenge in condensed matter physics and materials science is to understand the remarkable properties emerging from complex correlations of atomic and electronic constituents, and to control these properties for technological applications. The complexity in many novel materials is directly responsible for their tenability and consequently their practical functionality. In many cases, Creating surfaces, interfaces, ultra-thin films, and artificial superstructures add the additional twist of “man-made” dimensions, approaching the quantum phenomena of correlated electrons with broken symmetry and reduced dimensionality.
My main research interest is in exploring novel properties of complex materials like transition-metal oxides by the effects of broken symmetry, reduced dimensionality and spatial confinement, and by controlling lattice strain and chemical composition. The research include growing artificially structured configurations of complex materials like transition-metal oxides with atomic scale precision and in-situ comprehensive characterization on lattice structure, chemical composition, electronic and magnetic properties.
Current and Select Publications
- Zhaoliang Liao, Fengmiao Li, Peng Gao, Lin Li, Jiandong Guo, Xiaoqing Pan, E. R. Jin, W. Plummer and Jiandi Zhang, “Origin of the Metal-Insulator Transition in Ultrathin Films of La2/3Sr1/3MnO3”,Phys. Rev. B 92, 125123 (2015).
- Xuetao Zhu, Yanwei Cao, Jiandi Zhang , E. W. Plummer, and Jiandong Guo, "Classification of Charge Density Waves Based on their nature,"PNAS ,112, 2367 (2015).
- Quorong Li, Qing, Li, Minghu Pan, Biao Hu, Chen Chen, Jing Teng, Zhenyu Diao, Jiandi Zhang, Rongying Jin, & E. W. Plummer, "Atomic-Scale Fingerprint of Mn Dopant at the Surface of Sr3(Ru1-xMnx)2O7," Nature Scientific Reports, 3, 1 (2013).
- Jing Teng, Chen Chen, Yimin Xiong, Jiandi Zhang, Rongying Jin, and E. W. Plummer, “Anomalous Surface Lattice Dynamics in the Low Temperature Phase of Ba(Fe1-xCox)2As2”, PNAS, 110, 898 (2013).
- R.-W. Li, H. Wang, X. Wang, X.Z. Yu, Y. Matsui, Z.-H Cheng, B.-G. Shen, E.W. Plummer, and Jiandi Zhang, "Anomalously Large Anisotropic Magnetoresistance in a Perovskite Manganite", PNAS, 106, 14224 (2009).
- V. B. Nascimento, A. Li, D. R. Jayasundara, Y. Xuan, J. O'Neal, S. Pan, T. Y. Chien, B. Hu, X. B. He, G. Li, A. S. Sefat, M. A. McGuire, B. C. Sales, D. Mandrus, M. H. Pan, Jiandi Zhang, R. Jin, and E. W. Plummer, "Surface Geometric and Electronic Structures of BaFe2As2(001)," Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 076104 (2009).
- R. Moore, V. B. Nascimento, Jiandi Zhang, J. Rundgren, R. Jin, D. Mandrus, and E. W. Plummer, "Manifestations of Broken Symmetry: The Surface Phases of Ca2-xSrxRuO4" (with ), Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 066102 (2008).
- R. Moore, Jiandi Zhang, V. B. Nascimento, R. Jin, Jiandong Guo, G.T. Wang, Z. Fang, D. Mandrus, and E.W. Plummer, "A Surface-Tailored, Purely Electronic, Mott Metal-to-Insulator Transition," Science 318, 615 (2007).
- Jiandi Zhang, Ismail, R. G. Moore, S.-C. Wang, H. Ding, R. Jin, D. Mandrus, and E.W. Plummer, "Dopant-Induced Nanoscale Electronic Inhomogeneities in Ca2-xSrxRuO4 ," Phys. Rev. Lett. 96 066401 (2006).
- F. Ye, P. Dai, J.A. Fernandez-Baca, J.W. Lynn, H. Kawano-Furukawa, Y. Tomioka, Y. Tokura and Jiandi Zhang, "Evolution of Spin-Wave Excitations in Ferromagnetic Metallic Manganites ," Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 047204 (2006).
- S.-C. Wang, H. –B. Yang, A. Sekharan, H. Ding, C.X. Lu, Jiandi Zhang, Rongying Jin, D.G. Mandrus, and E.W. Plummer, "ARPES study of the Electronic Structure Evolution in Ca2-xSrxRuO4," Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 177007 (2004).
- Hongwei Qu, W. Yao, T. Garcia, Jiandi Zhang, S. Ducharme, P. A. Dowben, A. V. Sorokin, and V. M. Fridkin, "Nanoscale Polarization Manipulation and Conductance Switching in Ultra Thin Films of a Ferroelectric Copolymer," Appl. Phys. Lett. 82, 4322 (2003).
- Jiandi Zhang, P. Dai, J.A. Fernadez-Baca, E.W. Plummer, Y. Tomioka, and Y. Tokura, "Jahn-Teller Phonon Anomaly and Dynamic Phase Fluctuations in La0.7Ca0.3MnO3," Phy. Rev. Lett. 86, 3823 (2001).
- R. Matzdorf, Z. Fang, Ismail, Jiandi Zhang, T. Kimura, Y. Tokura, K. Terakura, and E.W. Plummer, "Ferromagnetism Stabilizedby Lattice Distortion at the Surface of the p-wave Superconductor:Sr2RuO4," Science 289,746 (2000).
- H. H. Weitering, J. M. Carpinelli, A. V. Melechko, Jiandi Zhang, M. Bartkowiak, and E. W. Plummer, "How Defects Rule the Condensation of a Charge Density Wave: An atomic View," Science 285, 2107 (1999).