Student Sustainability Fund (SSF)
In Spring 2016, the LSU student body voted to establish a Sustainability Fund to be used for projects related to sustainability, which will be proposed by students, faculty and staff. The fee is $2.00/semester for the Fall and Spring, and $1.00 in Summer. The fee will go into effect in Fall 2016, and a committee will be formed soon to manage the fund and review and approve project ideas and proposals.
How to Submit a Proposal
What Has Been Funded So Far?
2019 Approved Projects
- Organic waste composting pilot project using black soldier flies
- Spring Greening Day and Sustainability Expo
- Sustainability in Fashion- reducing waste in Textiles, Apparel Design, and Merchandising
- Installing an electric vehicle charging station on campus
- Creating a butterfly and pollinator garden on campus
- Funding a cold storage system for the Hill Farm to store produce after harvest
- Purchasing new bike racks for the School of Renewable Natural Resources
- Registration fees for College of Agriculture students to attend the 2019 SSAWG Conference
- Baton ROuge Bike Share program student membership support, coming in Spring 2019
- Update the Museum of Natural Science in Foster Hall
- Re-establish the student-run farm at Hill Farm Community Garden
- Decrease rental costs for a future bike sharing program
- Send a group of College of Agriculture students to a conference
- Re-establish a fruit & nut orchard at Hill Farm
- Composting pilot for food recycling in the Student Union & dining halls
- Campus bike counting pilot project using Dero Zap technology
- Send College of Agriculture students to the 2018 SSAWG Conference
- Provide farm to table cooking demonstrations for local elementary schools
SSF Strategic Goals
Strategic Goal 1:
Foster the development of environmentally sustainable projects and initiatives on campus to ensure that future students will have the same or better resources, opportunities and experiences as prior generations.
Objective 1.1. Enable collaboration among all departments, organizations, and stakeholders (e.g., current students, prospective students, faculty, staff, alumni, governmental agencies, non-profits, private businesses, and the public) to achieve, educate, support, and promote environmental sustainability at LSU.
Objective 1.2. Bolster existing sustainable practices put in place by various campus entities through educating stakeholders on these programs’ existence and their successes.
Objective 1.3. Provide opportunities for students to receive real-world experience in issues and initiatives related to environmental sustainability, as well as research and project management skills, to further professional development and leadership proficiency.
Objective 1.4. Provide incentives for sustainable practices by students and student organizations on campus.
Objective 1.5. Form partnerships with peer institutions to learn and share best practices.
Strategic Goal 2:
Incorporate environmental sustainability in all facets of LSU, including campus operations, activities, and infrastructure.
Objective 2.1. Reduce waste, with a goal of becoming a zero-waste campus, while improving recycling and investing in other “zero waste” practices, such as composting.
Objective 2.2. Reduce energy use through energy efficiency upgrades to campus buildings and installation of renewable energy systems.
Objective 2.3. Reduce water use through water-smart landscaping and the installation of efficient appliances and fixtures.
Objective 2.4. Invest in sustainable transportation practices to enable students, faculty and staff to bike, walk, carpool, and use buses in order to lessen the use of private vehicles.
Objective 2.5. Promote a more sustainable, healthier food system on campus through sustainable and/or local sourcing, promoting energy-efficient food products, encouraging the use of reusable containers, and reducing food waste via donations or composting.
Strategic Goal 3:
Ensure that the natural resources on and surrounding campus are protected for future generations.
Objective 3.1. Take the necessary actions for LSU to do its part to decrease greenhouse gas emissions and reduce the carbon footprint of the university.
Objective 3.2. Install green infrastructure systems to improve water quality and reduce stormwater runoff.
Objective 3.3. Partner with local municipalities and state agencies to make the entire region more sustainable.