Tran-SET Program Manager
3315-K Patrick F. Taylor Hall
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: (225) 578-3805 / Fax: (225) 578-5109
M.Sc., Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2013
B.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Wyoming, 2011
- Program Manager, Dept. of Construction Management, Louisiana State University, Dec. 2017 – Present
- Research Civil Engineer, Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, Federal Highway Administration, Sep. 2015 – Nov. 2017
- Civil Engineering, Eastern Federal Lands, Federal Highway Administration, Sep. 2013 – Sep. 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Aug. 2011 – May 2013
- Intern/Research, Dept. of Civil and Architectural Engineering, University of Wyoming, May 2010 – Aug. 2010
- Engineering/Surveying Tech, Wyoming Department of Transportation, May 2008 – Aug. 2008
- “Developing Analysis, Modeling, and Simulation (AMS) Tools for Connected and Automated Vehicle (CAV) Applications”, FHWA, $1,100,000, Co-GTM, Oct. 2017 – Nov. 2017
- “Hardware in the Loop Testing of Connected Automated Vehicle Applications”, FHWA, $600,000, GTM, Oct. 2016 – Nov. 2017
- “Development of an Analysis-Modeling-Simulation (AMS) Framework for V2I and Connected and Automated Vehicle Environment”, FHWA, $375,000, GTM, Oct. 2016 – Nov. 2017
- “Development of a Transportation System Simulation Manual (TSSM)”, FHWA, $490,000, GTM, Oct. 2016 – Nov. 2017
- “Developing the FHWA Driver Model Software for Practical Application”, FHWA, $420,000, GTM, Sep. 2016 – Nov. 2017
- “Moving FHWA Work Zone Driver Model Towards Practical Application”, FHWA, $630,000, GTM, Nov. 2015 – Nov. 2017
- James, R., C. Melson, J. Hu, and J.G. Bared. “Characterizing the impact of production adaptive cruise control on traffic flow: An investigation”. Transportmetrica B: Transport Dynamics, 1-21.
- Melson, C., M. Levin, B. Hammit, and S.D. Boyles (2018). “Modeling cooperative adaptive cruise control in dynamic traffic assignment”. Transportation Research Part C 90, 114-133.
- Ma, J., F. Zhou, Z. Huang, C. Melson, R. James, and X. Zhang (2018). “Hardware-in-the-loop testing of connected automated vehicle applications: A use case for queue-aware signalized intersection approach and departure”. Transportation Research Record, 2018.
- Berthaume, A., L. Jackson, I. Berg, B. O’Donnell, and C. Melson (2018). “Validating the performance of the FHWA Work Zone Model Version 1.0: A case study along I-91 in Springfield, Massachusetts”. Transportation Research Record, 2018.
- Berthaume, A., R. James, B. Hammit, C. Foreman, and C. Melson (2018). “Variations in driver behavior: An analysis of car-following behavior heterogeneity as a function of road type and traffic condition”. Transportation Research Record, 2018.
- Melson, C., C. Krause, and J. G. Bared (2015). “Operational and safety characteristics of an alternative design, space-efficient one-sided interchange”. ITE Journal 85 (6), 37-42.
- Saha, P., R. Liu, C. Melson, and S.D. Boyles (2014). “Network model for rural roadway tolling with pavement deterioration and repair”. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 29 (5), 315-329.
- Melson, C., J. C. Duthie, and S. D. Boyles (2014). “Influence of bridge facility attributes on bicycle travel behavior”. Transportation Letters: The International Journal of Transportation Research 6 (1), 46-54.
- Melson, C., J. C. Duthie, and S. D. Boyles (2013). “Influence of bridge facility attributes on bicycle travel behavior”. ITE Journal 83 (10), 36-41.