The LSU School of Social Work offers an asynchronous MSW Online program with six start dates per year. The Master of Social Work degree attests to the graduate’s preparation for social work practice and achievement at a level of competence sufficient to serve as a basis for a professional career. Students will receive the MSW degree in two years on a full time basis, three-four years on a part time basis or one year for advanced standing. All admission and program requirements are the same for the MSW Online and the Baton Rouge campus. The LSU School of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and has been offering graduate education since 1937.
How to Apply
Application to the School of Social Work is the same for all programs-- Full time, Part time, Advanced Standing and MSW Online. Application to LSU is a two step process. Applicants must submit 1) MSW supplemental application materials to the School of Social Work, and 2) a graduate application to the LSU Graduate School.
Submit to the School of Social Work:
- Supplemental Application submitted in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of Intent submitted in pdf format to email@example.com. Instructions for what is to be included in the Letter of Intent can be found here.
- Three letters of recommendation - three (3) recommendation forms are required for your admission file to be complete. A letter of support is not required to be submitted with this form, and a letter alone will not suffice. Two (2) recommendations must be Academic (college instructors, internship supervisors) and the remaining one (1) recommendation must be a Professional (Work/Volunteer) Reference. Family friends, clergy, therapist and high school teachers are not appropriate. Applicants who have been out of school for two or more years and cannot ascertain academic references may substitute other professional recommendations for academic. For any applicant, if two are not academic recommendations and one is not professional, please include a statement explaining the reason for the substitution and email this to firstname.lastname@example.org with your supplemental application. The Graduate School application online requires a letter of support that a recommender will upload; the School of Social work requires this form. You may send your letters of recommendation before you complete the graduate school online application and/or the social work supplemental application. We will hold these letters until an applicant completes the graduate school online application. These forms need to be sent by the recommender to email@example.com.
- Current resume or vita.
- One official copy of all transcripts from all universities attended. Transcripts may be mailed in sealed envelopes to the LSU School of Social Work, 313 Huey P. Long Fieldhouse, Baton Rouge, LA 70803 or sent electronically from a university to firstname.lastname@example.org. (all transcripts are required, whether or not credit was earned or is desired). Official transcripts of work taken at LSU are not required.
Submit to the LSU Graduate School:
- Complete the LSU Graduate School application, which includes the application fee, official copies of transcripts from all universities
attended sent in sealed envelopes to the LSU Graduate School, 114 David Boyd Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803 or sent electronically from a university to email@example.com (all transcripts are required, whether or not credit was earned or is desired). Official
transcripts of work taken at LSU are not required. For international applicants whose native language is not English, scores on the
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Applicants DO NOT need to submit a writing sample or program of study to the LSU Graduate School. Simply type N/A on this section of the online application.
- Applicants DO NOT need to submit letters of recommendation to the LSU Graduate School as the School of Social Work has its own letter of recommendation form.
- Note: If pursuing the online MSW, please be sure to select "Online" as your campus, not the Baton Rouge campus.
- Applicants with missing application materials by the School of Social Work deadline will not be considered. A completed application is the LSU Graduate School application, fee payment, Social Work supplemental application, letter of intent, three Social Work recommendation forms, resume, and transcripts.