Brush with Burden is a juried multimedia exhibition featuring all types of art inspired by Louisiana's natural beauty, flora and fauna.
Come be a part of the 7th annual show!
The show is open to all U.S. residents 17 years of age and older. All forms of art media except video and film are accepted. Works must be original, must have been produced in the past three years and cannot have been exhibited in a former Brush with Burden show. All artwork must be priced and available for sale, including frame.
The 2018 Brush with Burden art show and sale's entry process will be conducted using our new, easy Web-based service that allows artists to submit images and entry fees online. Deadline for completed entry: January 20, 2018
- Go to the entry website: http://bwb.burdengardens.com or click here: Entry Form
- Submission of completed online entry: January 20, 2018
- Follow the prompts to register as an artist and upload images.
- After submitting your art, you will be redirected to PayPal
to process payment.
- $20 for one entry and $15 for each additional entry (nonrefundable)
- Up to six entries accepted
- Registration is not complete until fee is paid.
- You will receive an email notification once your submission is complete.
- Changes to your entry cannot be made after entry is completed.
- Selling prices for art work include the frame and cannot be changed after the submission process is complete.
- Troubleshooting: If you have technical difficulties using the online service, contact Lane Downs at LD@LaneDowns.com or for exhibit questions, contact us at Friends@BurdenGardens.com
- A maximum of six entries will be accepted from any artist.
- File format: JPG only
- File dimensions: No smaller than 1200 pixels on the longest side.
- File size: 5 megabytes maximum
- Uploaded image should show artwork or photograph only. No framing should be visible.
- Maximum size of each piece of two-dimensional work, including frame, is 46" X 46".
- Maximum for indoor three-dimensional works should be no more than 48" high X 18" wide.
- Only one digital image may be submitted for each piece.
- Works accepted for the exhibition will be selected based on the digital images submitted.
- Entry must be suitably framed.
- Entry must be wired for hanging (no sawtooth hangers)
- Entry must be in stable condition.
- Entry must be gallery wrapped 1½".
- Entry cannot exceed 30 lbs in weight
- Any artwork that differs from the digital image submitted will be disqualified.
- All artwork must be the sole work of the submitting artist.
Art Show in the Orangerie
Photography Show in the Conference Center
In addition, merit awards will be presented. All award-winning works will be displayed following the show at the Shaw Center for the Arts for the month of April.
- All artwork submitted must be priced for sale. A 25% commission will be assessed on all sales. Proceeds from the sale of artwork support initiatives of the LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens.
- All prices are final and cannot be changed after on-line submission of art.
- Artist checks will be mailed within two (2) weeks.
- Payment for sale of sale of artwork will be mailed to artists within two weeks after exhibition.
|January 20, 2018||Online submission deadline|
|February 17, 2018||Email notification sent to accepted artists|
|March 12, 2018||Shipping deadline to UPS|
|March 12, 2018||Delivery of accepted entries
Accepted entries may be delivered to LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens, 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
|March 14-22, 2018||Exhibition open 10 a.m. - 4 p.m every Monday through Saturday and 1 - 4 p.m every Sunday|
|March 17, 2018||Don Taylor Seminar - 9 a.m. - noon|
|March 17, 2018||Opening reception 4 - 6 p.m. (Awards ceremony - 5:30 p.m.)|
|March 23, 2018||Pickup day for art and photography 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. (Shaw Center exhibitors pick up May 3)|
|May 3, 2018||Winning artists (exhibited at the Shaw Center) pick up day for art and photography|
Don Taylor is a signature member of 15 major watercolor societies, an elected member of Allied Artists and a Fellow Maxima cum laude of the American Artists Professional League. He is also a juried member of NWS, TWS and WW. He has been published in various watermedia books including Best of America (and Worldwide), Watermedia and Artistic Touch 5 and 6, as well as International Contemporary Artists Vol. I-IX. See his web page at http://dontaylorart.zenfolio.com.
Wes Kroninger is well known for his inventive editorial and beauty portraiture - cleanly lit images with a vitality and vibrancy that impacts viewers immediately. He has been a full-time photographer since 2003 and in that time, his work has gained national exposure in publications, including Rolling Stone, Modern Capture and a wide range of trade publications. Wes' first book Lighting: Design Techniques for Digital Photographers, exploring the creative and technical aspects of photographic lighting, is now on shelves. See his web page at http://www.weskroninger.com.
March 17, 2018 - 9:00 AM - Noon - Ione Burden Conference Center
The seminar, "Luminous Underpainting and Watercolor/Ink Journaling" by Don Taylor, will demonstrate the first and most important part of a unified watercolor underpainting. The fee for the lecture is $25 in advance and $30 at the door. Advance registration is suggested since seating will be limited. Register for Seminar
All exhibitors, artists and entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens and Friends of LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens, as well as Louisiana State University and the LSU AgCenter, including its administrators, officers and board members and affiliates, for and against any and all damage, loss or deterioration of artwork and any other submissions. LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens and Friends of LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens hereby disclaim all warranties, whether expressed or implied, including warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, including, without limitation, any warranty for provision, protection or preservation of any artwork or entries. LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens and Friends of LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens assume no liability whatsoever for any damage, loss or deterioration of artwork involved in the exhibition. The exhibit will be held in the Steele Burden Memorial Orangerie and the Ione Burden Conference Center.
Register at: http://bwb.burdengardens.com Entry Form
Contact: LSU AgCenter Botanic Gardens at 225-763-3990 or Friends@BurdenGardens.com