The Genesis Mentoring Program works with traditionally underrepresented students during their first semester to ensure a successful transition, both personally and academically, to college life. The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) fully understands the importance of students' holistic well-being, and we strive to provide the appropriate support and education. While participating in Genesis Mentoring, students can expect a variety of programs, each aimed a different area of success:
- One-on-one mentoring: Students will meet weekly with their Genesis mentor to discuss a variety of topics including classes, college life, identities, etc.
- Professional Development: Mentors and mentees come together and participate in workshops that help students grow professionally
- Personal Development: Students will experience personal growth through their mentor/mentee relationship, by working with the OMA staff, and through workshops
- Socials: Mentors and Mentees will attend several planned socials, as well as engage in a
variety of OMA sponsored events
New LSU Students:
Welcome to LSU! New LSU students can apply to be a mentee so they can be paired with a mentor that will help them transition to life as an LSU Tiger. All incoming first-year and transfer students who are eager to make their college transition a success are eligible. We strongly encourage incoming students who identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Asian, Native American, LGBTQ+, members of a religious minority, international, first-generation, and all other traditionally underrepresented groups to apply.
- Keep open communication with your mentor and OMA staff throughout the duration of the program
- Make all efforts to attend each Genesis event throughout the semester
- Agree to the policies and procedures of the Genesis Mentoring program
- Be an incoming first-year or transfer LSU student in the upcoming fall semester
Current LSU Students, Faculty, and Staff:
Genesis Mentors are third and fourth year students, graduate assistants, faculty members, and professional staff members who are exceptional campus leaders. Mentors serve as role models to the mentees by sharing their experiences with academia, campus life, and personal growth. By helping first-year students adjust to LSU's academic environment, mentors enhance their leadership and interpersonal skills. Additionally, mentors offer their insights on courses, professors, and research opportunities. Mentors also work as referral agents by connecting mentees to the many support services and resources offered on campus. Mentors are often the most memorable pieces of one's undergraduate career, and they are essential to a successful cohort of mentees.
Student Mentors Must:
- Maintain good academic standing: at least 3.0 cumulative GPA, and a 3.0 GPA in their most recently finished semester
- Be a third or fourth year student by the fall of the upcoming academic year
- Be in good standing with the university
All Mentors Must:
- Be respectful of individual difference including, but not limited to race, gender, sexuality, nationality, ability, religion, and socioeconomic status.
- Be willing to attend all Genesis Mentoring events with your mentee
Genesis Mentoring Virtual Information Session:
The Office of Multicultural Affairs will hold a virtual information session on Tuesday, March 30, 2021 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM (CST) for individuals who want more information or want to ask questions. Click here to register in advance for this meeting.
More about Genesis Mentoring:
Type of Events
- Weekly: Mentors and Mentees will decide on a time and setting to meet weekly for one-on-ones
- Monthly: The entire Mentor and Mentee cohort will gather for an special event, ranging from professional development workshops to socials
- Receive opportunities to interact with faculty/staff across campus in meaningful ways
- Individual mentoring and peer support
- Personal and professional enrichment opportunities
- Learn about various departments, student organizations, majors, and cultures
- Experience college with a cohort of close friends
- Leadership development
- Resume and CV builders
- One-on-one attention from professional staff members
- Certificate of Completion