These trainings are all LSU-sponsored trainings that the SVM Diversity Office will arrange upon request.
NCBI's Welcome Diversity Training
- How to celebrate their similarities and differences
- How to recognize the misinformation they have learned about various groups, including their own
- Learn about and reevaluate personal attitudes and behaviors that are based on the impact of prejudice and discrimination
- How to claim pride in their group identities
- How to understand the personal impact of discrimination through the telling of stories
- Learn hands-on tools for dealing effectively with offensive remarks and behaviors
Define a controversy accurately;
Listen to and repeat back another side’s concerns;
Ask questions that elicit the heartfelt concerns underlying another side’s position;
Map out the concerns on each side of an issue; and
Reframe the issue in a way that produces action points that all sides can support.
LSU is an affiliate campus of the National Coalition Building Institute (NCBI), a proven leadership development program to reduce or eliminate bias, discrimination, controversy, and interpersonal conflict on campus.
LSU Safe Space Campaign
The goal of the Safe Space Campaign is to identify and educate orientation and gender identity/expression. People displaying the Safe Space symbol are committed to combating hatred and discrimination through assistance and support. In the training, you will learn some basic LGBTQ terminology and ways to make your language more inclusive, identify some of the privileges of being a straight non-transgender person, discuss the coming out process, and go over some ways that you can be a better ally to LGBTQ students on your campus.
Search Committee Trainings, led by Chief Diversity Officer and HRM Representative
This is a workshop designed to help faculty search committees improve their functionality and to increase their diversity yield. Effective strategies and considerations for increasing faculty diversity are shared. HRM staff members assist with this training and follow up. This workshop is required for all faculty members who plan to serve on SVM search committees. Contact the Donnie Watkins, DEIB Manager, or Julia Lemoine, HR Coordinator, if you need this training.