Planning Your Event
Be sure to review the LSU Brand Guide for standards and guidelines pertaining to event branding.
- Consider why you are having the event and what you hope to achieve.
- What is the goal of your event: to honor someone, present information, raise funds?
- What is your budget?
- Who is your audience?
- What is the appropriate size of the guest list?
- Should the group be small or large? Who must be invited according to protocol?
- What is the appropriate venue: indoors or outdoors, on- or off-campus, lecture hall, dining room?
- What is the appropriate time of day: breakfast, mid-morning, cocktail hour?
- What message do you want attendees to receive?
- How elaborate will the event be?
- Will guests need formal attire?
- Will admission tickets be needed? If so, assigned seating or general admission?
- Will the event conflict with or be held in conjunction with other campus or unit events?
Read through our Event Planning Checklist for a step-by-step countdown to your event.
- Determine key players, such as potential speakers, honorees, hosts, and university, campus, or government dignitaries.
- Contact all key players to determine as many potential dates and times for your event as possible.
- Be mindful of religious holidays and other university and community events that may draw the same audience.
Selecting a Venue
- Which venues are available on dates and times you have identified?
- How should the room be configured?
- What is the seating capacity?
- Can you serve food and alcohol?
- Is there a podium?
- Can the room accommodate persons with disabilities?
- Is AV equipment available, and is there a fee for using it?
- Are parking facilities available close to the venue?
- What space is available for catering staging?
Reserving the Room
- Will you need to decorate the room with plants or flowers, stage backdrop or lighting?
- Are keys needed, or will the room be unlocked?
- Consider reserving a block of hotel rooms for out-of-town guests.
- Does your guest speaker need lodging and transportation arrangements?