SCI 1001 Peer Mentors
Application Extended Deadline: June 3, 2022
SCI 1001: First Year Seminar Goals
Students participating in SCI 1001: First Year Seminar will:
- Identify and practice academic, social, and personal “survival skills” essential to success in college;
- Describe what it means to be a scientist or mathematician;
- Communicate effectively in speaking, listening, and writing;
- Apply critical thinking, research ethics, and academic integrity concepts to academic work.
Peer Mentor Duties, Responsibilities, and Expectations
Peer mentors will provide support to SCI 1001 Faculty by:
- Creating and implementing classroom activities that promote engagement in the science and math academics, communities, and careers;
- Encouraging the importance of involvement in scientific community and on campus;
- Interacting with students inside and outside the classroom;
- Motivating students to engage in positive academic behaviors;
- Modeling positive student behavior; and
- Referring students to campus resources.
Peer mentors are expected to:
- Attend all scheduled trainings and activities;
- Maintain regular communication with SCI 1001: First Year Seminar instructor;
- Maintain regular communication with SCI 1001: First Year Seminar cohort students;
- Attend all course meetings;
- Complete the peer mentor post-survey; and
- Complete other assignments as requested by the SCI 1001 Instructor or Course Coordinator.
- An academic major within the College of Science (Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Mathematics, Microbiology, or Physics)
- Completion of at least 2 semesters at LSU by start of fall 2022.
- 3.0 Cumulative/2.5 Semester GPA or better.
- Be in good standing with the University.
- New Mentors $9.25/hr, average 5 hours per week
- Returning Mentors $10/hr, average 5 hours per week