Faculty Research Grant Program
The mission of the Faculty Research Grant Program (FRG) is to position LSU as a regional, national and global leader in addressing critical challenges that face society through the development and nurturing of interdisciplinary research teams. Through the FRG program, we expect to increase the number of competitive and successful applications for large center-scale grants, the number of applications for collaborative research opportunities, the number of effective interdisciplinary research teams, and annual research expenditures through increased extramural funding.
The Faculty Research Grant initiative is a multi-stage program to identify, train, and support interdisciplinary research teams at LSU through targeted research projects that engage the land-grant, sea-grant and space-grant missions of the university. Proposed projects should be transformative, have broad impact, and be ambitious but achievable within the proposed timeframe, with the goal of producing tangible work products that address real-world challenges.
The FRG will provide up to $100,000 per year per project renewable for up to two years. Participating projects will be identified through a rigorous peer-review process. Faculty from selected projects will participate in workshops on effective team development, management and engagement during the month prior to the project start date (July 1).
Proposals for this program will be solicited in three phases:
- a letter of intent to gauge interest and assist prospective research teams
- a pre-proposal for initial review by a faculty peer-review selection panel
- in-person presentation before the selection panel
Once the grant period has begun, selected teams will meet quarterly with FRG staff to share project activities, share feedback on project trajectories, and assess how research teams are meeting critical milestones and performance targets. Renewal of the second/third year of funding will be contingent on an end-of-year review by FRG and ORED staff.
All members of the faculty (tenure track and research) of departments that participate in LSU’s indirect cost (F&A) return program are eligible to apply for a Faculty Research Grant as follows:
- Appointees in the rank of assistant, associate and full professor (tenure-track and research) with the exception of persons known to be in their last year of campus employment are eligible.
- Appointees with only adjunct titles are not eligible.
- Faculty on leave without pay are not eligible for a FRG unless approved as an exception by the Vice President for Research & Economic Development. A letter requesting an exception must be included in the application.
- Each faculty member may only be involved in one proposal in any capacity. You must choose to participate in either the small or interdisciplinary grant program.
- Faculty in the School of Veterinary Medicine are eligible to participate as an interdisciplinary research team member, but not as lead PI, under a special agreement between the Office of Research & Economic Development and the School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Faculty who currently hold an unexpired FRG are not eligible to apply.