LSU Board of Supervisors Appoints Presidential Search Committee
BATON ROUGE –The LSU Board of Supervisors today announced the creation of a search committee to select the university’s next president.
“We are pleased to announce the appointment of a search committee made up of accomplished individuals whose singular goal is to help us identify the next leader of LSU,” said Robert Dampf, LSU board chair. “We are ready to move forward, and we fully intend to conduct a thorough, yet expeditious, search process.”
The Presidential Search Committee is reflective of LSU and of Louisiana. The 20 committee members are a diverse group representing the different ethnicities, genders, academic disciplines, occupations, geographical regions and constituencies whose input is vital to selecting the next leader of LSU. The members of the search committee are:
Search Committee Chair
- James Williams; Former chair, LSU Board of Supervisors from the Second Congressional District; New Orleans, La.
Committee Vice Chair
- Gabriela González, Boyd Professor, LSU Department of Physics and Astronomy; Baton Rouge, La.
Search Committee Members
- Glenn Armentor; LSU Board of Supervisors from Third Congressional District; Lafayette, La.
- Verge Ausberry; LSU Executive Deputy Director of Athletics and Executive Director External Relations; Baton Rouge, La.
- Hannah Barrios; Vice President, LSU Student Government; Pollock, La.
- Chip Campbell; Alumnus and President of Campbell Companies; Shreveport, La.
- Clarence Cazalot; Alumnus and Chair of the LSU Foundation; Houston, Texas
- Larry Clark; Chancellor, LSU Shreveport; Shreveport, La.
- Jessica Jones; Director of Student Success, LSU Eunice; Eunice, La.
- Valencia Jones; LSU Board of Supervisors from the Fourth Congressional District; Natchitoches, La.
- Lester W. Johnson; Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, LSU Health Monroe; Monroe, La.
- Luke Laborde; Instructor, LSU School of Renewable Resources; Baton Rouge, La.
- Roland Mitchell; Dean, LSU College of Human Sciences & Education; Baton Rouge, La.
- Lori Martin; Professor, LSU Department of Sociology; Baton Rouge, La.
- Steve Nelson; Dean, LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans School of Medicine; New Orleans, La.
- Christel Slaughter; Alumna and co-owner of SSA Consultants; Baton Rouge, La.
- Tara Smith; Professor and Regional Director, LSU AgCenter Central Region; Alexandria, La.
- Rémy Starns; Chair-elect, LSU Board of Supervisors from the First Congressional District; Metairie, La.
- Takeyra Wagner; Education Technology Specialist and Staff Senate President at LSU Alexandria; Alexandria, La.
- Mary Leach Werner; Immediate Past Chair, LSU Board of Supervisors from the Third Congressional District; Lake Charles, La.
In the charge to the search committee, Dampf asked them to prepare a position description for the presidency position. The committee will also have the latitude to recommend any structural or organizational changes that might facilitate identifying the best leader for the future of LSU.
The search committee will determine the method of identifying interested parties and the means for reviewing their qualifications. Though there are no established time limitations, the committee is being asked to move deliberately in completing the search process.
“Our intention is that the search committee will identify individuals who have led or are capable of leading one of the nation’s premier academic, research and health care enterprises,” Dampf added. “We aim to be a leader in educating future leaders, conducting research that brings understanding and solutions to our challenges, and extending the knowledge of the University well beyond the borders of our campuses.”
Thomas Galligan Jr., dean of LSU’s Paul M. Hebert Law Center, has served as interim president since Jan. 1, 2020
Contact Jim Sabourin
LSU Division of Strategic Communications
LSU Media Relations