Information for Scholars
Thank you for your interest in becoming an LS-PAC MODELS Scholar! Please see the information below about benefits, eligibility, and the onboarding process.
As a participant, you would have the opportunity to:
- Be mentored by one or more STEM professionals who can help provide career guidance and skill development.
- Receive access to professional development courses designed to enhance your ability to obtain a career in academia.
- Meet and network with leading professionals in your field of interest to build career connections.
- Meet and network with other scholars within and outside of your field of interest.
- Be a mentor to graduate and undergraduate STEM students.
- Provide valuable data that will help increase the number of underrepresented STEM students entering into academic careers.
There is no cost to participate in this program, as we are a Louis Stokes Regional Center of Excellence funded by the National Science Foundation.
The LS-PAC MODELS Center takes a comprehensive approach to facilitating the academic and career development of individuals pursuing STEM academic careers. Particular emphasis is placed on providing mentoring, professional development, and networking opportunities in support of racial and ethnic groups historically underrepresented in STEM disciplines.
We invite scholars from groups historically underrepresented in STEM (African-American/Black, American Indian or Alaska Native, or Hispanic/Latinx) to sign up. Scholars must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Currently pursuing bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, Ph.D., post-doctoral fellowship,
or academic career in an NSF STEM field* (such as physics, chemistry, biological sciences, mathematics, computer science,
engineering, or neuroscience). Students do not need to be enrolled at or otherwise
connected to LSU.
*Note: health fields such as pre-medical and pre-dental are not eligible
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher (for current students)
- Possess an interest in an academic career
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident (required for full participation)
If you are eligible, you can become an LS-PAC MODELS Scholar by completing the onboarding form linked below and attending orientation:
- The onboarding form includes information on LS-PAC MODELS as a research study and consent to participate in that study.
- You’ll also provide information that will be used to create your scholar profile and to match you with a compatible mentor. If you have any questions about this form or how your information will be used, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Finally, you’ll sign up for an orientation session. Scholar orientation sessions are scheduled for May 18 at 3 p.m. CST and May 19 at 5 p.m. CST. If you are not able to attend one of these sessions, please let us know on the onboarding form and our staff will contact you to work out an alternative arrangement.