LSU Awards Tom W. Dutton Scholarship to 10 Students
Award presented to female students for outstanding service to the community
BATON ROUGE – LSU Campus Life, a department within the Office of the Dean of Students, has awarded the 2018 Tom W. Dutton Scholarship Award for participation and leadership in campus and community service to 10 female students who were nominated and who applied for consideration.
2018 Tom W. Dutton Scholarship Award recipients include:
- Rachel Campbell, a senior political communication major from Mandeville, La.
- Emily Cannon, a junior sociology major from Metairie, La.
- Stephanie Casnave, a senior kinesiology and human movement sciences major from Augusta, Ga.
- Kendall Valentine Cole, a doctoral student in oceanography and coastal sciences from Plymouth, Minn.
- Tabitha Kearns, a senior biological sciences major from Thibodaux, La.
- Neepa Kuruppu Arachchige, a graduate student in chemistry from Kirama, Sri Lanka
- Madison Liggio, a senior early childhood education major from Mandeville, La.
- Allison Sommers, a senior agriculture and extension education major from Baton Rouge, La.
- Haily Teachout, a senior biological sciences major from Mandeville, La.
- Shelby Waddell, a junior in elementary education dual certification grades 1-5: mild/moderate special education and general education from Zachary, La.
The award is presented annually to female undergraduate or graduate student(s) for outstanding service to the university community through participation and leadership in community service activities while attending LSU. Additional criteria include full-time status, a 3.0 cumulative GPA, and good academic and disciplinary standing with the University. No student may receive the award more than once while enrolled at LSU.
Award winners will be recognized at the Love Purple, Live Gold Awards on Monday, April 1. The award also carries a $250 or $500 stipend.
The award was established through a bequest that was left to LSU in 1969 by the late Tom W. Dutton. Dutton was a member of the LSU Board of Supervisors from 1940-1967. He also served as the vice chair and the chairman of the Board of Supervisors from 1940-1944 and 1950-1952 respectively.
LSU Campus Life supports and advises seven student organizations that uphold the three tenets of Involvement, Leadership and Service. Those organizations include Geaux BIG Baton Rouge, Homecoming Committee, Involvement Krewe, Kitchens on the Geaux, Service Breaks, Student Activities Board and Volunteer LSU. LSU Campus Life also works closely with more than 400 student organizations and countless student organization leaders and organization advisors daily to make LSU an increasingly vibrant campus community.
For more information visit www.lsu.edu/campuslife.
Contact Alison Paz at 225-578-5955 or firstname.lastname@example.org for headshots of the students.
Contact Alison Paz
LSU Campus Life
LSU Media Relations