LSU to Celebrate Grand Opening of New Nicholson Gateway Development on Oct. 12
BATON ROUGE – LSU will cut the ribbon on Nicholson Gateway Development, its newly opened mixed-use development on a 28-acre site of the Nicholson Drive Corridor, between West Chimes Street and Skip Bertman Drive, on Friday, Oct. 12, at 2 p.m.
The ribbon-cutting will follow brief remarks at 2 p.m. in front of Canal Hall at Nicholson Gateway Apartments. Tours will be available throughout the afternoon.
Parking is available in Gateway South Lot 109 and Gateway Central Lot 110 off of Gateway Garage Lane, accessible via Skip Bertman Drive or Nicholson Drive.
Nicholson Gateway includes 763 units of apartment-style housing for more than 1,500 students, with associated residential support spaces, such as lounge spaces, study areas, community gathering places and 50,500-square-feet of retailers including anchor tenant Matherne’s Market, Frutta Bowls, The Simple Greek, Wendy’s, Private Stock Apparel and a Baton Rouge General Express Care clinic.
Nicholson Gateway is a student-centered development that responds to demands for on-campus housing, and supports student success by improving the campus living experience for both undergraduate and graduate students. On-campus housing not only keeps LSU competitive in its national market, but also improves student outcomes: research shows that students who live on campus have better GPAs and higher chances of graduating.
The Nicholson Gateway Development is a public-private partnership – or “P3” – to design, build, finance, operate and maintain new, on-campus student housing and other amenities to transform the western edge of campus, extending LSU’s campus character and student life experience across Nicholson Drive and creating a distinct entrance corridor for the university.
The LSU Property Foundation, an affiliate of the LSU Foundation, is facilitating Nicholson Gateway for the benefit of the LSU community in partnership with development advisory team Brailsford & Dunlavey and CSRS, project developers Georgia-based RISE: A Real Estate Group and Provident Resources Group, and LSU Residential Life.
Project details are available at https://www.nicholsongateway.com.
What does the project include?
- 1,529 beds, a mix of undergraduate and graduate housing
- 50,500 square feet of campus-focused retail space
- 8,500 square feet of University Recreation space
- 1,550 new surface and garage parking spaces
Added to community:
- 700 construction jobs
- 125 new, permanent jobs
- Enhanced game day experience
- Advanced LSU’s relationship to downtown Baton Rouge
- Improved Nicholson Drive traffic patterns, pedestrian friendliness and visual beauty
- Created a new campus entry point
- Matherne’s Market to be Retail Anchor Tenant in LSU’s Nicholson Gateway
- Fresh Food Eatery, Coffee Shop and Clothing Boutique to Open in LSU’s Nicholson Gateway
- Baton Rouge General Express Care and The Simple Greek Restaurant to Open in LSU’s Nicholson Gateway
Contact Catherine David
LSU Residential Life
LSU Media Relations