Professional Jobs (beyond Baton Rouge)
Legislative/Communications Assistant, AAR, Washington, D.C.
Founded in 1934 and located just a few blocks from the U.S. Capitol and the National Mall, AAR is a top-tier trade association representing major freight and passenger railroads operating in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. In addition to representing its members on legislative and regulatory policy matters, AAR sets standards for rail cars and rail car components, certifies manufacturing and repair facilities, and audits facilities for compliance. Its research subsidiary, the Transportation Technology Center, Inc., headquartered in Pueblo, Colorado, is the world’s leading railroad research facility, undertaking cutting-edge research for railroads and their suppliers from around the world, as well as the Federal Railroad Administration. AAR’s information technology subsidiary, Railinc, located in Cary, North Carolina, provides IT services to the railroad industry. For more information on AAR and its subsidiaries, see www.aar.org.
The Association of American Railroads (“AAR”) is seeking a Legislative/Communications Assistant with shared responsibility for supporting the day-to-day operations of the Government Affairs and Communications departments. Primary duties include supporting the day-to-day operations of government affairs and media relations, web site, social, content and newsletter activities. Additional duties include meeting coordination, research, editorial assistance, increasing department efficiencies, assistance with department budgets, and administrative support to the Government Affairs and Communications teams.
- Previous Capitol Hill, Public Relations or Public Affairs experience helpful.
- Requires effective oral and written communication skills; analytical, organizational and time management skills; aptitude with Microsoft Office suite; and the ability to exercise
- professional judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Experience with Meltwater, WordPress, MailChimp and/or a social monitoring/scheduling platform is a plus.
Applicants may apply on the Railroad Careers webpage at: www.aar.org.
Job Posted 11/19/19
Marketing Content Writer, Lafayette General Health, Lafayette, LA
To provide support for ongoing and positive communications among system employees, medical staff, executives and other internal stakeholders, as well as the external public, about the nature and benefits of the system and its entities. This role collaborates closely internally with Lafayette General Foundation on employee giving campaigns, Human Resources on employee communications and Med Staff leadership on the physician newsletter. The content writer will also collaborate with others to create content for marketing collateral to be used externally.
- Write compelling, interesting and useful content to engage employees more fully, support business objectives, and advance the LGH culture and employee standards of behavior.
- Manage and measure corporate internal communications channels including internal electronic newsletters, "Generally Speaking" and “Physician News,” by utilizing analytics tools to determine open rate and click-to-open rate.
- Write well-researched, short- and long-form content that is targeted and engaging.
- Develop content for brand and service line storytelling for multiple channels (internal communications, ad copy, blog, email)
- Circulate and interact with employees to foster familiarization with the internal audience
- Work closely with service line leaders to create content for marketing collateral to be distributed to patients and visitors within the health system.
- Collaborate with other department creatives to create and edit scripts for video, radio and print.
- Conceptualize, write and edit internal and external publications, advertising, public relations (press releases, etc.) and promotional materials to ensure clear, consistent, strategically focused and effective communication about the system and its entities.
- Coordinate and/or assist in support of community activities and events where the system is represented.
- Assist in educating the system in managing the brand voice and identity and correct use of brand standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
- Content marketing experience with excellent writing, editing and proofing skills
- Minimum of 3+ years communications experience.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills; strong understanding of AP Style
- Detail oriented, with an ability to manage complex projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate a computer, camera and various other technology
Job Posted 11/19/19
Fundraising - Event Coordinator, Hospice of Acadiana, Lafayette, LA
Under general supervision of the Executive Director, this position is responsible
for the development,
planning, and implementation of the organization’s fundraising events. This role requires the coordination
and hands–on involvement in all event fundraising and event activities; development and management
of event committees and volunteer teams; identification and cultivation of corporate and business
relationships, along with the solicitations of monetary and in-kind support for sponsorships, auctions,
fundraising activities, event marketing and outreach.
This position is responsible for soliciting sponsors/donors/prospects, advertising
and promoting events,
selling tickets, coordinating volunteers, managing the logistics of the event, and most importantly
- Plan and coordinate all of Hospice of Acadiana Foundation’s fundraising events.
- Solicit sponsors, and prospective sponsors/donors for monetary and in-kind support.
- Develop and direct event strategies and timelines, as well as associated staff/volunteer
insure all components are delivered on time and in a quality and professional manner.
- Track revenue, expenses and budgeted forecast for all events.
- Production and oversight of all event materials (letters, invitations, posters, flyers, etc.).
- Manage all event venue(s) and vendor relationships.
- Manage volunteer event planning committees.
- Maintain Social Media presence/content up-to-date.
- Create and distribute press releases and inform all media of upcoming events.
- Identify and establish new business relationships.
- Maintain and grow Constant Contact database.
- Help develop, coordinate, maintain and implement the annual fundraising plan in accordance
- Develop event goals to increase ROI, both increasing revenue while reducing expenses.
- Maintain fundraising events calendar.
- Participate in meaningful post event de-briefings.
- Actively recruit new sponsors for various Foundation events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Marketing, English or Non-Profit Management
preferred, but not required.
- Two years’ experience in sales, corporate development or fundraising or equivalent
education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience using MS Office suite, with proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Strong computer skills and ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results.
- Demonstrated command of all social media technology and operation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Possession of a valid Louisiana driver’s license, must be insurable to drive a personal vehicle.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
- Strong project management skills, including ability to balance multiple projects and
- Goal setting and budget management.
- Key players in the community where connections can be leveraged.
- Effective management of volunteers is preferred.
- Work evenings/weekends as necessary.
- Communicate skillfully and effectively with diverse audiences in both oral and written formats.
- Represent Hospice of Acadiana and Hospice of Acadiana Foundation in a professional
manner in all
situations and environments.
- Develop and implement new fundraising and communication initiatives.
- Be patient, courteous and work well under stressful conditions.
- Have a positive attitude.
Job Posted 11/19/19
Reporter/Multimedia Journalist, KOBF- TV, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Mountains, streams, deserts, ancient ruins, world-class art, varied culture and a crazy-good brew and food scene. That’s the New Mexico life KOB 4 employees enjoy every day. The variety represented in our state drives a news organization that covers a wide range of stories from award-winning investigations and special projects to heart-touching profiles of people and real life issues you won’t find anywhere else. Sound good? Come live in an amazing state and join the KOB 4 team as we proudly “Stand 4 New Mexico”!
The Farmington Bureau Reporter/MMJ is responsible for presenting live scripted and unscripted news reports for daily newscasts on KOB-TV, KOBF-TV, and KOBR-TV. The reporter/MMJ will enterprise, research, and track stories, and develop contacts and sources throughout northwest New Mexico and southwest Colorado.
- Write, shoot, edit, and present stories daily under tight deadlines.
- Present live on television scripted and unscripted news reports; may present live stories from the scene of the news, the newsroom and/or studio or may tape stories for later broadcast.
- Enterprise and develop stories for broadcast daily. Research and gather content for story. Write clear, accurate and interesting stories. Break down complicated and involved stories so that they are easy to understand. Ensure that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate and impactful. Maintain standards of accuracy and fairness in news coverage.
- Write for and maintain strong presence on website and other social media platforms.
- Travel to the scene of a news story to gather and compile the information into the proper form for broadcast. Traveling to and from story locations is part of the daily routine.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local and national current events. Make promotional and community appearances as required.
- Maintain appropriate and strict standards with regard to wardrobe, hair, cosmetics, and other areas of grooming.
- Write, post, and frequently update stories on website and other digital media platforms.
- Communicate frequently throughout the day and work collaboratively with others in the newsroom.
- Contribute to the overall team effort to provide the market with the best possible local television journalism. Work in a team environment cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of people.
- Build and develop working relationships with coworkers, community members, and the general public.
- Act in a professional manner when representing the station.
- Attend editorial and strategic meetings. Contribute story ideas on a daily basis.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed, as assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as requested and needed.
- College degree in journalism, television or communications or equivalent experience; solid journalism background with experience in a reporting role.
- Skills as a photographer and editor are required.
- Must have a valid driver's license, a good driving record and be insurable. Applicant's driving record will be checked.
- Must be knowledgeable of issues, newsmakers, and current events and be able to present stories in a way that is accurate, clear, complete, and relevant to viewers.
- Ability to handle a variety of news reporting assignments, including but not limited to, live appearances on the news set, breaking news and remote locations.
- Solid writing skills required.
- Knowledge of production values preferred.
- Ability to get along and communicate with a variety of people in often extreme circumstances.
- Must be able to think quickly and respond to breaking news in high pressure situations and have strong organization and live reporting skills.
- Ability to read, hear and speak clearly and follow both oral and written direction.
- Ability to think critically and quickly and to articulate information in clear, concise manner to others. Welcome feedback and constructive criticism.
- Ability to read Teleprompter, to view videotape, and to listen to live and recorded audio.
- Must be flexible to work any assigned shift including nights, weekends, holidays; and extended hours.
- Please submit a demo tape in DVD format or a demo reel link of your on-air experience along with your resume and cover letter.
Ability to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing. Work with time sensitive
and sometimes confidential information under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
dexterity and fine motor skills to manipulate computer keys and camera equipment as well as general office equipment (telephone, copier, etc.). Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 50 lbs. Must be able to move quickly at times from newsroom to edit booths to studio. Sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Average pushing and pulling, bending and stooping. Travels locally daily. May travel regionally or nationally from time to time. The Company may make reasonable accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform essential job functions.
For more information click here
Job Posted 10/15/19
Integrated Digital Specialist, KLFY-TV, Lafayette, Louisiana
Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the largest TV station operator in the country. With the reach of 171 television stations in 100 markets addressing nearly 38.7% of US television households, and a diversified, growing digital media operation. Nexstar Media Group Inc. is the parent company of Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. & Nexstar Digital LLC. Learn more at www.nexstar.tv.
The Integrated Digital Specialist is the digital marketing services sales lead.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute go-to-market sales strategies and tactics that result in exceeding personal and company revenue targets
- Establish, maintain and grow meaningful client relationships
- Generate new digital marketing services business and grow business from existing clients
- BA or BS in Business Marketing, Advertising or Communications preferred
- 3+ years of digital marketing or media sales preferred
- Significant knowledge of the local digital marketing services product offering and effective use for clients
- Motivated, enthusiastic, self-starter who can work effectively both independently and collaborating in a team environment
- Effective communication and client presentation skills
- Ability to interact with high-level decision makers
- Ability to execute in an organization through collaboration and a consultative process
- Excellent follow-up, strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proven ability to meet and exceed sales goals
- Meaningful contributor in sales meetings on digital marketing topics (ex. best practice sharing, industry trends)
- Be and effective partner with the market's sales team in generating digital revenue
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The Integrated Digital Specialist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Integrated Digital Specialist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Apply online at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar
Closing date is Nov. 8, 2019
Job posted 10/11/19
News Producer, KTBS-TV, Shreveport, Louisiana
KTBS-TV, channel 3, is an ABC-affiliated television station licensed to Shreveport, Louisiana, United States and also serving Texarkana, Texas. They are looking for an experienced, energetic, and self-starting full-time News Producer. If you like to produce fast-paced, creative newscasts and enjoy working in a team environment, this is the job for you.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Research, write and produce stories for air
- Story placement, teases, graphics, writing, timing and all other editorial and production elements
- Provide editorial guidance to reporters, photographers, assignment desk and editors
- Coordinate graphic production for the newscast
- Oversee on-air production of newscasts, make changes as necessary and ensure that all items are complete
- Coordinate incoming satellite feeds from the network and other sources
- Proven ability to showcase a newscast
- Superior writing and computer skills – Word, Excel and Outlook, social media
- Knowledge of Newsroom systems, interplay, scanner, teleprompter, edit bays, live trucks, cameras, audio board and decks, video, wire services
- Team player with solid show/material judgement
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays
- Clear driving record and satisfactory pre-employment drug test
- Proven ability to showcase a newscast
If qualified, please send cover letter, resume/application, and a link to your online reel with samples of your work.
Email to: email@example.com or mail to: NP-1, Box 44227, Shreveport, LA 71134-4227
Job posted 9/16/19
Communications Specialist - Digital Media (Video), Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Baylor College of Medicine is a health sciences university that creates knowledge and applies science and discoveries to further education, healthcare and community service locally and globally.
Plans, produces and disseminates video and audio materials and other communications to support the mission of Baylor College of Medicine.
- Develops, produces and assists with video projects for both external and internal audiences
- Assists with and supports the production of the Baylor College of Medicine podcast
- Interviews Baylor College of Medicine faculty and staff members for video projects and other communications
- Assists in lighting, audio and camera set up at film locations
- Edits video and audio components into finished products
- Creates still and animated motion graphics including intros, outros, lower thirds, etc. to enhance video packages
- Writes video scripts and other communications, which may include press releases, internal news stories and briefs, and blog posts
- Works with communications specialists to develop video pitches for the news media
- Assists in video production, coordination and promotion of special events and lectures
- Works as part of the media relations team to promote Baylor College of Medicine
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism. Communications or related field
- Required Experience: None
- College or internship experience in broadcast communications/video production and editing
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including Premiere Pro, Audition, After Effects and Photoshop
Schedule:: Monday-Friday; 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Work Location: BCM Cullen Building
Salary Range: $34,058-$40,000
Requisition ID: 862
Please send resume and reel to Bethany Strother at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted 8/6/2019