September 30, 2016
The Period Activity Pay job aid has been updated. Updates made include not checking the box “Use as Payment Periods” and making sure the Payment End Date is the end of the pay period. If the Payment End Date is not entered in correctly, it can negatively impact the department’s accounting ledger. Also, it is important that the comments for overload teaching are entered specifically as noted on the job aid. If comments are entered incorrectly, it will not show up correctly on the reporting for Institutional Research.
September 27, 2016
A new Create Position or Requisition Template is now available.
A Quick Reference Guide of commonly seen mistakes in Workday and solutions for each can be found here. This is an excellent resource for HR Analyst and Student Employment Partners.
September 9, 2016
We’ve recently updated the Quickstart job aid. Users now have the capability to search in Quickstart by PAWS ID and/or LSU ID. Please see the recently updated Quickstart job aid for more informatio
August 31, 2016
Adding Additional Jobs for Classified Employees
Effective immediately, you may add an additional job to a classified employee if they are performing a non-classified titled job in another supervisory organization.
- This is not to be used to replace Details to Special Duty that you must put a classified employee into if they are being detailed to a lateral or higher level classified position that is either vacant during the advertising process or the current worker is on extended leave.
Before loading the additional job for the employee, the employee must receive approval from their current supervisor to perform the work. Coordination among the two organizations is essential to getting all the information for the employee.
A new job profile titled “Hourly Additional Job” has been created to accommodate paying a Classified employees only for the additional job.
A Classified employee cannot be appointed to an “Hourly Additional Job” for more than 1 year, but they maybe continued as needed.
You will need to put an identifier on the add job so that the employee or timekeeper knows what position they need to enter time on. This title must be consistent the “posting title”, “business title” and “job title”. Ex. Hourly Additional Job – Parking Attendant.
If a classified employee works in excess of 40 hours in their primary job, when time is entered for the additional job they will be paid their overtime rate.
When performing the additional job for the employee, please be aware of the following:
- Scheduled weekly hours must be set at a maximum of 20 hours/week.
- The hourly rate that is entered in the “Amount” section must be their current hourly base pay. Do not enter the employee’s overtime rate in this section. Workday will automatically calculate overtime off of the base pay.
- An “Actual End Date” must be entered on the compensation. On this day the compensation will end. A job change will be needed to continue the employee. If the job is ending and needs to be removed you must perform a “Job Change>End Additional Job.”
- A job description and job summary must be attached and/or filled in during the requisition creation.
Please refer to the job aid that will be posted on the Workday Training site for more detailed instructions.
Payment of Lump Sum to Student Workers and Graduate Assistants
Student Worker Lump Sum Payments:
Effective 10/01/2016, lump sums cannot be paid to student workers. This will allow us to track hours for ACA and total hours that can be worked per Student Aid. Anything currently in progress you may finish paying via the lump sum.
- Additional jobs must be added if a student is performing a job within their current supervisory org or in an outside supervisory organization.
- To ensure the student is entering time on the correct position, when creating the requisition enter a “Job Posting Title” that can be used to identify the job from their other job(s). When adding the additional job to the student, under “Additional Details” update the “Job Title” and “Business Title” to match the posting title you entered on the job requisition creation.
- You must coordinate with the home department of the student to ensure adding the additional job will not result in more than 20 hours/week.
- In the business process for adding an additional job, the initiating Student Employment Partner will get an inbox action to “switch the primary job.” Do not switch the primary job unless it is needed.
Graduate Assistant Lump Sum Payments:
GA’s will be allowed to be paid via lump sums (One-Time Payments) in certain circumstances. Each case will be reviewed separately and arrangements must be made between HRM and Payroll before the GA begins working an additional job.
- Ex. If a GA in the Lab School is asked to work a Lab School athletic event, Payroll will allow a one-time payment to be submitted.
When loading a One-Time Payment for the GA, once on the One-Time Payment page, select “One-Time Payment Plan” > “Graduate Student One-Time Payment”.
Disclaimer: This plan type will be created in the coming days. For the time being, please select a plan type of “Lump Sum Wages (Retirement) with a reason code of “Ad Hoc Payments > Event Pay” or “One-Time Service”, whichever is most appropriate. Please check the next time you load a new OTP for a GA for the new plan type “Graduate Student One-Time Payment” and select a reason code of either “Ad Hoc Payments > Event Pay” or “One-Time Service.”
Given that time is not tracked within Workday for GA’s, it is important that the detailed comments are entered in the Additional Information section to describe the work that is being performed and when it was performed. Ex. “Mike worked as a ticket taker for the middle school boys’ basketball game on Monday, 8/25 for 3 hours (5pm-8pm) at a rate of $8/hr”.
August 24, 2016
Assigning President’s Aid Costing Allocation
The Cost Allocations for student workers with President’s Student Aid (PSA) funding must be populated with two types of costing allocations in order for the student’s earnings to charge the special funding accounts. However, please note that a user cannot perform multiple level updates in a single transaction. You cannot enter the President’s Student Aid Program Account Number and the Department Account Number in the same transaction. Costing Allocations can be seen from the student’s personal profile in the Compensation Tab. Changes to any type of Costing Allocation can be made through Maintain Costing Allocation BP. See below for a quick table outlining the two required types of costing allocations and guidelines over who and when they can be added and what the costing allocation is used for.
|Costing Allocation||Costing Allocation Level||Role||When to Add||Function|
|Department Account Number||Worker – Position Level||Cost Center Manager||
||To pay for any overages after the PSA funding has depleted|
|PSA Program Account Number||Worker – Position – Earning||Student Employment Partner/Cost Center Manager||As a stand-alone step through Maintain Costing Allocation BP||To charge the student’s PSA fund|
QuickStart is To-Do step within the Hire Worker business process that CANNOT be skipped, even if you know that the new hire already has a LSUID and PAWS ID. This applies when hiring any type of employee including student workers and graduate assistants. You must enter the new hire’s social security number and create or verify the LSU ID (89#) and PAWS ID. By verifying or creating this information in QuickStart, the new or existing LSU ID is fed into Workday and this information is required for the onboarding process to work correctly.
August 22, 2016
Avoiding Duplicate Employee Records:
Entering duplicate employee records in Workday has a major payroll impact. This happens when someone hires an new employee or student who already has, or had, a job on campus. It is imperative to use available Workday reports and search features before attempting to hire a new employee.
These resources will help you determine if your new hire already has a job.
- Enter the student or new employee’s name in the Search field. If nothing appears, click All of Workday. If the new hire shows up as a Pre-Hire, you must confirm that they are not working in another department to determine what transaction to initiate.
- Use the Worker – All Jobs Report to confirm and determine where your student or new employee already has a position(s). Your graduate assistant may have been working as a student worker over the summer.
- If they do have a position, and you are employing them as a student worker, then you can initiate Add an Additional Job OR if one of the positions should be in your supervisory organization, you must work with the HR Analyst of the position’s current supervisory organization to initiate a Move Worker business process to move the position into the correct supervisory organization.
- If they do have a position, and you are employing them as a graduate assistant, please work with the Student Employment Partner of the student’s current supervisory organization to initiate a Change Job with reason Student to GA conversion. You will need an open and approved position in new supervisory organization to move the student into.
- If they are not currently employed, but have a pre-hire, please hire the employee off the pre-hire in Workday. Once the Job Req/Position is created, navigate to your Organization, click on the Staffing tab, Click on the Related Action next to the open position, choose Hire, and Use Existing Pre-Hire. You may also follow the Hire Worker job aid; be sure to follow the instructions regarding a pre-hire in Step 4: If hiring a previous student, click the radio button next to Existing Pre-hire and then click the prompt icon and type in the student’s name into the search area.
August 8, 2016
Job Requisition after Termination
When terminating an employee, Workday will prompt you in your inbox to create a job requisition for the vacancy. It is important to act on the to-do item. By creating the job requisition through the to-do step, you are ensuring you are not creating a new position, but rather filling the existing vacancy. It also will enable you to more efficiently start the recruiting process for your vacancy. This is why the Termination BP ends with a Create Job Requisition To-Do Item in the HR Specialist’s inbox.
However, if you are not planning for fill the vacancy or have already created a job position and requisition outside of this to-do step, you must clear it from your inbox. To clear it from your inbox, reference the requisition number in the comments box and press Submit.
July 29, 2016
Report: Reported Time Blocks for a Worker
A timekeeper can run this report and see all of the time entry for a worker for the selected date range, the reported quantity for the time block, and the calculation tags (such as hours worked and weekend shift premium).
The same information is available if you click on the individual time block on the time entry calendar, select View Details, and select Calculated tab. Using the Reported Time blocks is easier than clicking on each individual block. Important notes – this report will show all time entries regardless of status (entered, not submitted and approved) and will not show time off entries.
July 20, 2016
Over the next few weeks, fiscal year end balances, award budgets, banking transactions and grant invoices will be loaded into Workday. While the team is working to minimize the impact of these loads on the LSU Community, they will require that the system be taken offline. A detailed schedule of the planned maintenance can be found at www.lsu.edu/workday.
July 14, 2016
- If you have received a notice in your in box regarding moving a worker forward after completing a background check, do not move it forward without talking with your staffing partner to ensure the process was completed.
- Please make sure that you are entering a home address for any new hires. A home email address is needed for the background check process. A work email can also be entered, but a home address is required for the background check.
- Here is the template for creating positions/requisitions, it will be helpful in completing information required.
- Any transaction that was entered into HRS effective after 7/1 (no matter when it was entered) needs to be entered into Workday.
- Please make sure that you submit one job requisition for each unique position you have created. You cannot create one job requisition for multiple positions if there are differences in each position’s title, position summary, pay, costing allocation, supervisor, etc. You can create one job requisition for multiple positions if each position is exactly the same.
- Use the Worker – All Jobs Report to view all employees that are not in your supervisory
Type in Worker – All Jobs in the search bar. Click on Workers – All Jobs Report from the search options.
In the Worker Search Field type in the student/employee’s name. Click Ok.
In the Supervisory Organization for Primary Job field, you will be able to see the supervisory organization that the employee is currently part of. The supervisory organization tells you which supervisor is currently associated with the employee. Click the Supervisory Organization to view members and the supporting roles assigned. Click on Roles Tab and search for HR Analyst.
Under the All Positions/Jobs field, you will be able to see all the positions/jobs the employee holds. Click on each Position to see Job Details for each position.
- Move Worker has to be initiated by the HR Analyst of the supervisory organization the employee is moving from. The HR Analyst of the supervisory organization the employee is moving into, will complete the business process. To determine who the HR Analyst is for a supervisory organization, search for the supervisory organization in the search field or go through the Workers – All Jobs Report. Then, click on the Supervisory Organization in Workday, click on the Role Tab, and search for the HR Analyst.
- If an employee's work address was not updated in HRS, Workday converted that address as 217 Thomas Boyd Hall. This is causing packages to be delivered to an incorrect address. Please ensure workers have the correct work address. Use the Location Change Job Aid to make the change.
- Any transaction that was entered into HRS effective after 7/1 (no matter when it was entered) needs to be entered into Workday.
- Please make sure your job title is as descriptive as possible (For example: don’t just type Graduate Assistant or G.A.). Please spell out the title instead of using abbreviations.
- Students were converted to supervisory organizations in Workday based on their HRS
supervisor. In situations where a student had multiple jobs, all jobs were converted
to the same supervisory organization. The impact of this conversion is that the student’s
job may be listed in the incorrect Workday supervisory organization which will result
in the approval of hours being routed to the wrong manager. Unapproved time entry has a direct payroll impact.
If you are searching for a student worker/graduate assistant that you have responsibility for and they appear as a pre-hire, use the Worker- All Jobs Report, to see if they are incorrectly showing under the wrong supervisor before attempting to add an additional job or re-hire the student worker/graduate assistant into your supervisory organization. Use the Worker – All Jobs Report to view all employees that are not in your supervisory organization.
For students in the incorrect supervisory organization, it will be necessary for the HR Analyst for the student’s current SO to initiate a Move Workers task within Workday. A job aid for this task is available here: https://uiswcmsweb.prod.lsu.edu/training/specialist/move_worker.pdf
Type in the student worker/graduate assistant’s name in the search bar.
If they appear as a pre-hire, type in Worker – All Jobs in the search bar. Click on Workers – All Jobs Report from the search options.
In the Worker Search Field type in the student worker/graduate assistant’s name. Click Ok.
Look at the Supervisory Organization for Primary Job field, you will be able to see the supervisory organization that the student is currently part of. The supervisory organization tells you which supervisor is currently associated with the student worker/graduate assistant. *Click the Supervisory Organization to view the supporting roles assigned. Click on Roles Tab and search for HR Analyst.
Under the All Positions/Jobs field, you will be able to see all the positions/jobs the student holds. *Click on each Position to see Job Details for each position.
Determine which position needs to be moved to your supervisory organization.
- Contact the HR Analyst assigned to the student worker/graduate assistant’s current
supervisory organization to initiate a Move Workers business process. A job aid for
this task is available here: https://uiswcmsweb.prod.lsu.edu/training/specialist/move_worker.pdf
- Email the individual(s) listed as the HR Analyst and provide the name of the student, the position number which needs to be moved and the new SO.
- In the meantime, to ensure that the student is paid correctly by the next payroll deadline of Tuesday, July 19th, instruct the student to submit their time through a paper timesheet to their Timekeeper. If the student has already submitted a time entry to the wrong manager, ask the student to delete that time entry.
- As the payroll deadline approaches, it is advised that you closely monitor any outstanding issues for your students by leveraging the Workday reports ‘Time Not Submitted Timekeeper’, ‘Time Not Approved Timekeeper’, and ‘Workers with No Time Entry Timekeeper.’ Report any issues immediately through Service Now (lsu.edu/servicenow).
- Students were converted to supervisory organizations in Workday based on their HRS supervisor. In situations where a student had multiple jobs, all jobs were converted to the same supervisory organization. The impact of this conversion is that the student’s job may be listed in the incorrect Workday supervisory organization which will result in the approval of hours being routed to the wrong manager. Unapproved time entry has a direct payroll impact. If a student’s manager is incorrect in Workday, to ensure that the student is paid on time, please ask the student to submit their time on a paper timesheet, and have their assigned timekeeper enter the time for them. If the student has already submitted a time entry to the wrong manager, ask the student to delete that time entry.
- Job Aids are being updated regularly, so before beginning a task you may want to look up the latest version of the job aid by visiting the LSU Workday website. If you are using a printed copy, it may not be the most up to date version.
- Don’t forget to check out the HRS Crosswalk!
- Check our new Training Resources this week: Under Student Employment Partner Resources: New Community Service Work Study Quick Guide, and new Work Study and President’s Student Aid Quick Guide.
- Search Tip: When searching for an employee, task or business process in the search
field, make sure you are pulling up all possible results by changing your search preferences
to All of Workday.
- Click on the cloud icon next to your name, in the drop down menu, select My Account, select Change Preferences, in the Search Preferences field, slick prompt icon to view categories, select All of Workday. Sign out and sign back in. This ensures that when you are searching, Workday will bring up all the choices possible.