Engineering Supplemental Instruction
Supplemental instruction in the College of Engineering provides peer-facilitated sessions for students enrolled in large, historically difficult, engineering and computer science courses. During these sessions, students utilize active learning strategies to help students better understand the material. SI Leaders deliver weekly sessions, hold office hours, and serve as a liaison between students and faculty members.
As shown in the graph below, students who regularly attend SI sessions in engineering courses are 24% more likely to pass a course!
Engineering SI Session Passing Rate Compared to Course Average. No Sessions Attended results in 0-10%. 1-3 Sessions Attended results in less than 5%. Four or more sessions attended results in more than 15 %.
*Students who regularly attend SI sessions in engineering courses are 24% more likely to pass a course.
Fall 2018 Courses
(check your class moodle and/or email for updates on time/location of sessions and office hours):
- BE 1251 (Allison Mixon): Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5:30-7:00pm in 106 Ag Metals
- CE 2450 (Smitkumar Mistry): Tuesdays, 5:00-6:30pm & Thursdays, 5:30-7:00pm in 103 Tureaud
- CE 2460 (Seth Ledet): Tuesdays, 7:30-9:00pm & Thursdays, 5:30-7:00pm in 1225 PFT
- CE 3400 (Alex Donner): Tuesdays, 6:00-7:30pm & Sundays, 6:30-8:30pm in 10 Lockett
- CHE 2171 (Jeffrey Millet): Tuesdays, 5:30-7:00pm & Sundays, 5:00-7:00pm in 1212 PFT
- CHE 3172 (Daniel Dean): Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4:00-6:00pm in 10 Lockett
- CSC 1350 (Jake Ardoin): Wednesdays, 2:00-4:00pm in 112 Tureaud; Fridays 10:00am-1:00pm & Sundays, 11:30am-2:00pm in 206 Tureaud
- CSC 1351 (Jake Ardoin): Wednesdays, 4:00-6:00pm & Sundays, 2:00-4:00pm in 112 Tureaud
- CSC 2259 (Joe Mazur): Sundays, 5:00-7:00pm & Tuesdays, 5:00-6:30pm in 116 Tureaud
- CSC 3102 (Benjamin Geiss): Mondays, 6:30-8:00pm & Wednesdays, 3:30-5:00pm in 1216 PFT
- EE 2120 (Rebecca Runnels): Sundays, 6:30-8:00pm & Wednesdays, 3:00-4:30pm in 145 Coates
- EE 2740 (Rebecca Runnels): Sundays, 4:30-6:30pm & Wednesdays, 4:30-6:00pm in 145 Coates
- EE 2950 (Christopher Chuang): Sundays, 4:00-6:00pm & Wednesdays, 4:30-6:00pm in 108 Tureaud
- ME 2334 (Olivia DePierri): Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4:00-5:30pm in 16 Lockett
- ME 3333 (Logan Goynes): Sundays, 5:30-7:30pm & Wednesdays, 6:30-8:00pm in 1225 PFT
- ME 3834 (Eddie Veal): Mondays & Wednesdays, 4:30-6:00pm in 1253 PFT
- PETE 2032 (Kristian Crotwell): Sundays, 3:30-5:30pm & Tuesdays, 3:00-4:30pm in 100 Tureaud
*For other courses that offer Supplemental Instruction visit the Center for Academic Success.
To become an Engineering SI, you need to:
- Earn an A or B in the course.
- Get a recommendation from the course instructor (or another instructor in the department).
- Be willing to attend SI trainings and meetings throughout the semester, including some weekends and evenings.
- Be willing to work 10-20 hours per week.
For more information, contact Dr. Elizabeth Melvin, Director of Academic Affairs in the College of Engineering.