Career Plan for Graduate Students
Create a pathway for success.
- Take career assessments to understand your interests, personality, values, and skills.
- Make an appointment with an LSU Olinde Career Center career counselor to discuss your results.
- Schedule a follow-up career counseling appointment to process your decision and to develop a strategy and timeline to reach your goal.
Explore your options.
- Research your options using Occupational Outlook Handbook and O*NET OnLine.
- Review “What Can I Do with This Degree?”
- Network with professionals currently in the field.
- Login to your Handshake account and explore available opportunities.
- Check out job posting boards to see what the market holds for those in your field.
- Attend Career Expo and other campus recruiting events.
- Discuss your career interest with faculty to learn about careers achieved by alumni of your program.
- Join professional organizations for your discipline and field of interest.
- Contact organizations of interest and request an informational interview.
Confirm through experience.
- Assess the gap between current skills and those needed in your target occupation.
- Take on a teaching assistantship or graduate assistant position related to your field.
- Connect with faculty to learn about available research opportunities.
- Make conference presentations in your field both on and off campus to establish your reputation.
- Shadow a professional in your field of interest during breaks.
- Seek out and secure an internship, summer job or other work experience related to your goal.
- Use your internship to connect with professionals in the field to expand options and professional network.
- While in your internship, volunteer for projects that will help you develop needed hands-on skills.
- Volunteer to round out your skills.
- Take on a leadership role in a student or community organization.
Polish your professional presentation.
- Review the Student Career Guide for tips to start out right.
- Create a résumé or CV based on protocol for your discipline or career goal.
- Make an appointment for a résumé critique with an LSU Olinde Career Center professional.
- Prepare for interviews using the Student Career Guide.
- Invest in professional interview attire.
- Schedule a mock interview with an LSU Olinde Career Center professional.