Do you have a big idea?
The 10th Annual J Terrell Brown Venture Challenge is a campus-wide business plan competition that is open to all LSU students and alums (graduated within the last year) who are operating businesses or developing an idea for a new venture. The first-round application will open Monday February 15, 2021 and close Friday March 12, 2021. First Round applicants are required to submit a business overview and a 2-minute pitch video to enter the competition. After the first-round judging, semifinalists will be announced on Monday, March 15. All semifinalists will be required to submit an Executive Business Plan during the semifinal round. Three finalists will then be selected to pitch in the final round for their share of $25,000 in startup cash!
Important 2021 Dates
First Round Deadline – Friday, March 12, 2021
- All Applicants must submit a business overview form and a 2-minute pitch video.
- Please review our 2-min video pitch guidelines for more information.
- The final list of semifinalists will be announced Monday, March 15, 2021.
Semifinals Deadline– Friday, April 2, 2021
- Selected semifinalists must submit a 5-page Executive Business Plan and pitch deck.
- The Stephenson Entrepreneurship Institute will provide mentoring sessions to aid competitors in writing a complete Executive Business Plan.
- Judges will review all Executive Business Plans and based on specific criteria; the top three finalists will be announced on April 5, 2021.
Finals Deadline – Thursday, April 15, 2021
- The three finalists will give a 10-minute investor pitch to both the panel of judges and a live audience. Each pitch will be followed by a 10-minute question and answer session with the panel of judges made up of local business professionals and investors.
- The Stephenson Entrepreneurship Institute will assist in pitch formation and ensures that all teams are well-prepared for their pitches.
Startup Cash Awarded: Three Businesses Receive their Share of $25,000 prize
The judges will determine how to divide $25,000 among the three finalists based on the pitches. The maximum amount for one team is $15,000, and the minimum is $1,000. Thus, finalists are guaranteed $1,000 cash.
- Competitors are required to meet all submission deadlines and guidelines.
- Applicants must be current LSU students (undergraduate or graduate) or alums who graduated within the last year.
- Individual or team submissions are welcome.
- Applicants cannot be part of multiple teams.
- Competitors must be present during the entire competition and the final presentation.
- LSU student(s) must represent at least 51% of company ownership.
- Ventures cannot exceed $100K in lifetime revenue and/or $250K in lifetime equity investment.
Please contact Stephenson Entrepreneurship Institute (SEI) for more information. This is a VIRTUAL event.