Gary C. Sanger, CFA
Gary C. Sanger is the William H. Wright Jr. Endowed Chair for Financial Services at Louisiana State University. He holds a PhD in finance from Purdue University and is a CFA Charterholder. Gary is past president of the Southern Finance Association and received the C. Stewart Shepard Award for Outstanding Contribution to CFA Institute Education Programs.
- PhD Management / Finance (Minor in Econometrics), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1980
- BS Industrial Management/ Honors in Economics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1973
Awards & Honors
- Research Gate, Research Gate, 2019
- CFA Continuing Education, CFA Institute, 2018
- Research Gate, Research Gate, 2018
- Donald L. Tuttle Award for Excellence in CFA Examination Grading, CFA Institute, 2013
- Excellence in Teaching, E.J. Ourso College of Business, 2010
- President, Southern Finance Association, 2010
- Department of Finance Excellence in Teaching Award, Louisiana State University, 1995
- Teaching Interests: Securities analysis, portfolio theory, asset pricing
- Research Interests: Financial markets, asset pricing, mutual funds
Selected Research Publications
- Lin, W. and Sanger, G. C. (2020). Is smart beta still smart under the lens of diversification?. Journal of Portfolio Management, 46(9).
- Lin, W. and Sanger, G. C. (2019). An alternative fundamental weighting scheme based on enterprise value multiple. Journal of Asset Management, 20(2), 146 - 156.
- Chen, F., Sanger, G. C., and Slovin, M. B (2013). Asset Sales in the Mutual Fund Industry: Who Gains?. Journal of Banking and Finance, 37(December 2013), 4834 - 4849.
- Lin, J., Sanger, G. C., and Booth, G. (1995). Trade Size and Components of the Bid-Ask Spread. Review of Financial Studies, 8(4), 1153-1183.
- Sanger, G. C. and Peterson, J. D. (1990). An Empirical Analysis of Common Stock Dealings. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 25, 261-272.
- Lamoureux, C. G. and Sanger, G. C. (1989). Firm Size and Turn-of-the-Year Effects in the OTC/NASDAQ Market. Journal of Finance, 44, 1219-1245.
- McConnell, J. J. and Sanger, G. C. (1987). The Puzzle in Post-Listing Common Stock Returns. Journal of Finance, 42, 119-140.
- Sanger, G. C. and McConnell, J. J. (1986). Stock Exchange Listings, Firm Value and Security Market Efficiency: The Impact of NASDAQ. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 21, 1-25.
- Song, W., Hu, J., Sanger, G. C., and Chen, J. (2019, August). Flow Toxicity and Bank Equity Holdings. Presented at 2019 JAAF conference sponsored by Journal of Accounting, Audit, and Finance, Santiago, Chile .
- Sanger, G. C., Song, W., and Chen, J. (2018, December). The Relationship Insurance Role of Financial Conglomerates: Evidence from Earnings Announcements. Presented at Journal of Corporate Finance (JCF) Special Issue Conference sponsored by Journal of Corporate Finance, Hong Kong.
- Sanger, G. C, Song, W., Hu, ., and Chen, J. (2018, November). The Market Microstructure Effects of Bank Equity Holdings. Presented at Southern Finance Association sponsored by Southern Finance Association, Asheville, NC.
- Sanger, G. C. and Du, W. (2017, November). Anti-takeover Provisions, Corporate Governance, and Firm Performance. Presented at Southern Finance Association Annual Meeting sponsored by Southern Finance Association, Key West, FL.
- Sanger, G. C. (2016, November). Is smart beta still smart under the lens of the diversification return?. Presented at Southern Finance Association sponsored by Southern Finance Association, Destin FL.
- Chen, J., Sanger, G. C., and Song, W. (2013, November). The Relationship Insurance Role of Financial Conglomerates:. Presented at Southern Finance Association sponsored by Southern Finance Association, Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Personnel: Sanger, GaryTitle: Office of Research and Economic Development Faculty Travel Grant ProgramSponsoring Organization: LSUYear: 2016Personnel: Sanger, Gary (role: Principal)Title: Office of Research and Economic Development Faculty Travel Grant ProgramSponsoring Organization: LSUYear: 2015
- Sanger, G. C. (1982). Stock Exchange Listings, Firm Value and Market Efficiency. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI Research Press.
Professional and Service Activities
- Southern Finance Association, Program Organizer (March 15, 2019 - April 15, 2019)
- Faculty Senate Courses and Curriculum Committee, Committee Member (January 19, 2017)
- Policy Committee, Committee Chair (August 31, 2017)
- LSU, Reviewer, Grant Proposal (January 1, 2016)
Employed by LSU sinceAugust 21, 1985