Don M. Chance, Ph.D., CFA, holds the James C. Flores Endowed Chair of MBA Studies and is Professor of Finance at the E. J. Ourso College of Business at Louisiana State University. He previously held the William H. Wright, Jr. Endowed Chair for Financial Services at LSU, and the First Union Professorship in Financial Risk Management at Virginia Tech. Prior to his academic career, he worked for a large southeastern bank. Professor Chance has had numerous articles published in academic and practitioner journals and has authored three books: An Introduction to Derivatives and Risk Management (9th ed.) co-authored with Robert Brooks, Essays in Derivatives: Risk Transfer Tools and Topics Made Easy (2nd ed.), and Analysis of Derivatives for the CFA Program. His recent research examines asset allocation and investment performance measurement, executive stock options, the risk aversion of high-level executives, human aspects of risk management, corporations who accept blame and blame others, dividends as options, risk management in sports, and the economic efficiency of hybrid vehicles, He is often quoted in the media on matters related to derivatives and risk management as well as financial markets and the economy in general. He has extensive experience conducting professional training programs, and his consulting practice (Omega Risk Advisors, LLC) serves companies, organizations, and law firms. He is also involved in the development and writing of the derivatives curriculum in the C.F.A. program. In his spare time he plays guitar, composes music, and has a guitar vocal act.. In also enjoys exercise, and in 2016 he completed a 26-mile hike over the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
- PhD Finance, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1980
- BS Business Administration, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, AL, 1972
- MBA Finance, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS, 1973
Awards & Honors
- C. Stewart Shepard Award, CFA Institute, 2015
- Distinguished Faculty Award, LSU, 2014
- Teaching Interests: risk management, financial derivatives, fixed income securities, corporate finance
- Research Interests: risk management, financial derivatives, indexing, exchange traded funds, fixed income securities
Selected Research Publications
- Chance, D., Bui, D., and Stephens, C. (2019). Does the Choice between Listing on the NYSE versus Nasdaq Matter? An Examination of Firms that Voluntarily Move from the NYSE to Nasdaq. 19(7), 18-48.
- Chance, D.. FI-nance or Fi-NANCE: How 100 Experts Pronounce the Word. Journal of Financial Education.
- , R., Chance, D., and , M. (2019). The Superior Performance of Covered Calls on the S&P 500: Rethinking an Anomaly. Journal of Derivatives, 27(No. 2, Winter, 2019), 50-61.
- Chance, D. (2019). An Option Pricing Approach to Corporate Dividends and the Capital Investment Financing Decision. Review of Financial Economics, 37, 541-553.
- Chance, D. and Kim, S.. An Empirical Analysis of Corporate Currency Risk Management Policies and Practices. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 47, 109-128.
- Chance, D., Muthuswamy, J., Hanson, T. A, and Li, W. (2016). A Bias in the Volatility Smile. Review of Derivatives Research, 20(1), 47-90.
- Chance, D. (2016). The Alphas of Asset Allocators. Journal of Investing, 25(4), 34-56.
- Chance, D., Ferris, S., and Cicon, J.. Poor Performance and the Value of Corporate Honesty. Journal of Corporate Finance, 33, 1-18.
- Chance, D. and McCarthy, M.. Measuring and Managing Market Risk (Level II).
- Chance, D. and Edleson, M. (2015). Risk Management: An Introduction (Level I).
- Chance, D. and Brooks, R. (2014). Some Subtle Relationships and Results in Option Pricing. Journal of Applied Finance.
- Chance, D. and Yang, T. (2014). The Price-Taker Effect on the Valuation of Executive Stock Options. Journal of Financial Research, 37(1), 27-54.
- Chance, D. and , . (2014). Basics of Derivatives Pricing and Valuation (Level I).
- Chance, D., Brooks, R., and Cline, B. (2012). Private Information and the Exercise of Executive Stock Options. Financial Management, 41(3), 733-764.
- Chance, D. and Yang, T. (2011). The Tradeoff Between Compensation and Incentives in Executive Stock Options. Quarterly Journal of Finance, 1(4), 733-766.
- Chance, D. (2011). Fatal Flaws of the Sharpe Ratio or How to Make Yourself Look Good. Journal of Performance Measurement, 16(1), 20-28.
- Chance, D., Shynkevich, A., and Yang, T. (2011). Experimental Evidence on Portfolio Size and Diversification: Human Biases in Naive Security Selectoin and Portfolio Construction. The Financial Review, 46, 427-457.
- Chance, D. and Hemler, M. L. (2001). The Performance of Professional Market Timers: Daily Evidence from Executed Strategies. Journal of Financial Economics, 62, 377-411.
- Chance, D., Kumar, R., and Todd, R. (2000). The 'Repricing' of Executive Stock Options. Journal of Financial Economics, 57, 129-154.
- Chance, D. (1990). Default Risk and the Duration of Zero Coupon Bonds. Journal of Finance, 45, 265-274.
- Chance, D. and Ferris, S. P (1987). The Effect of 12b-1 Plans on Mutual Fund Expense Ratios: A Note. Journal of Finance, 42, 1077-1086.
- Chance, D. (1983). Floating Rate Notes and Immunization. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 18, 365-380.
- Chance, D. (2019). Financial Risk Management for End Users. Singapore: World Scientific Press.
- Chance, D. (2019). The Assignment (work of fiction).
- Chance, D. (2015). Derivatives Exchanges In Elizabeth Sheedy (Ed.), The Professional Risk Managers' Handbook Series (pp. 151-176). Wilmington, DE: PRMIA (Professional Risk Managers International Association).
- Chance, D. and Brooks, R. (2015). An Introduction to Derivatives and Risk Management, 10th edition. Mason, Ohio: Cengage Publishing.
- Chance, D. and Peterson, P. (2013). Real Options and Investment Valuation In David Larrabee and Jason Voss (Ed.), Valuation Techniques: Discounted Cash Flow, Earnings Quality, Measures of Value Added, and Real Options New York/John Wiley: CFA Institute.
- Chance, D., Dhar, P., and Simkins, B. (2013). A Financial Analysis of the Decision to Purchase a Hybrid Vehicle Energy Finance and Economics: Analysis and Valuation, Risk Management, and the Future of Energy (pp. 477-490). New York: Wiley.
- Chance, D. and Brooks, R. (2012). An Introduction to Derivatives and Risk Management, 9th edition. Mason, Ohio: Cengage Publishing.
- Chance, D. (2008). Essays in Derivatives, 2nd ed.. New York: John Wiley.
- Chance, D. (2003). Analysis of Derivatives for the CFA Program. Charlottesville, VA: Association for Investment Management and Research.
- Hoskins, S. Bissell, Nordlund, J., and Chance, D. (2019). Gender Differences in Earnings Call Transcripts
Professional and Service Activities
- MBA Admissions and Curriculum, Committee Member (August 1, 2013 - July 31, 2014)
- Promotion and Tenure Committee, Committee Member (August 1, 2013 - July 31, 2014)
- Promotion and Tenure Committee, Committee Member (August 1, 2012 - July 31, 2013)
- MBA Admissions and Curriculum, Committee Member (August 1, 2012 - July 31, 2013)
- Other; Aaron Beam Speaks; 35-minute interview; 2020
- Internet; Politico; Quoted in article about new tax law and the economy; 2018
- Other; LSU Graduate School Newsletter; Featured Faculty Member More ; 2017
Employed by LSU since