Department of Economics - Professor and Director of Graduate Studies
Robert W. and June Heroman Scheffy Professorship
Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Department of Economics
2329 Business Education Complex South
501 South Quad Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
- PhD Economics, Brown University, Providence, RI, 2004
- BS Engineering, Bilkent University, Turkey, 1997
- MA Economics, Bilkent University, Turkey, 1999
- ECON 4520 - International Trade:
- ECON 4530 - The Chinese Economy:
- ECON 4710 - Aggregate Economic Analysis:
- ECON 7071 - Economic Growth:
- ECON 7718 - Advanced Macroeconomics I:
Awards & Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Graduate Category, Louisiana State University, 2018
- Jill and Roger Jenkins Energy Research Grant, 2018
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Graduate Category, Louisiana State University, 2012
- Research Scholar Award, Louisiana State University, 2012
- Business College's Outstanding Teacher Award, Louisiana State University, 2011
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Graduate Category, Louisiana State University, 2009
- Council on Research Grant, Louisiana State University, 2008
- K. Alghanim Dissertation Fellowship, Brown University, 2004
- Teaching Interests: International Trade, Economic Growth, Macroeconomics
- Research Interests: Trade and Productivity, Entrepreneurship, Labor Economics
Selected Research Publications
- Eren, O., Onda, M., and Unel, B. (2019). Effects of FDI on Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Right-to-Work and Non-Right-to-Work States. Labour Economics, 58, 98--109.
- Beland, L. and Unel, B. (2019). Politics and Entrepreneurship in the U.S.. Canadian Journal of Economics, 57, 33-57.
- Unel, B. (2018). Offshoring and Unemployment in a Credit-Constraint Economy. Journal of International Economics, 111, 21-33.
- Dinopoulos, E. and Unel, B. (2015). Entrepreneurs, Jobs, and Trade. European Economic Review, 79, 93-112.
- Dinopoulos, E. and Unel, B. (2013). A Simple Model of Quality Heterogeneity and International Trade. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 37, 68--83.
- Dinopoulos, E. and Unel, B. (2011). Quality Heterogeneity and Global Economic Growth. European Economic Review, 55, 595--612.
- Unel, B. (2010). Firm Heterogeneity, Trade, and Wage Inequality. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 34, 1369--79.
- Page, T., Putterman, L., and Unel, B. (2005). Voluntary Association in Public Goods Experiments: Reciprocity, Mimicry, and Efficiency. Economic Journal, 115, 1032-53.
Professional and Service Activities
- Southern Economic Journal, Editor, Associate Editor (September, 2012 - September, 2020)
- Graduate Studies, Committee Chair (June, 2016 - June, 2020)
Employed by LSU since
August 21, 2006