- PhD Economics, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 2001
- BA Economics (Honours), University of Delhi, New Delhi, India, 1994
- MA Economics, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, 1997
- MA Economics, Delhi School of Economics, New Delhi, India, 1996
- Teaching Interests: Macroeconomics, Economic Growth
- Research Interests: Macroeconomics, Economic Growth, Regional Growth, The Indian Economy
Selected Research Publications
- Chanda, A. and Kabiraj, S.. Shedding Light on Regional Growth and Convergence in India. World Development.
- Chanda, A., Cook, C. Justin, and Putterman, L. (2014). Persistence of fortune: Accounting for Population Movements, There was no Post-Columbian Reversal. American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 6(3), 1-28.
- Chanda, A., Alfaro, L., Kalemli-Ozcan, S., and Sayek, S. (2010). Foreign Direct Investment, Financial Markets and Economic Growth. Journal Of Development Economics.
- Chanda, A. and Dalgaard, C. (2008). Dual Economies and International Total Factor Productivity Differences. Economica, 75, 629-661.
- Chanda, A., Alfaro, L., Kalemli-Ozcan, S., and Sayek, S. (2004). Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets. Journal of International Economics, 64(64), 89-112.
- Chanda, A., Bockstette, V., and Putterman, L. (2002). States and Markets: The Advantages of an Early Start. Journal of Economic Growth.
- Chanda, A. (2013). The Rise of India In Randall Parker and Robert Whaples (Ed.), The Handbook of Major Events in Economic History
- Chanda, A. and Cook, J. (2020). Was India's Demonetization Redistributive? Insights from Satellites and Surveys
- Chanda, A. (2013). Accounting for Bihar's Productivity Relative to India's: What can we learn from recent developments in Growth Theory?
Professional and Service Activities
- Graduate Advisory Committee, Committee Chair (August, 2009 - July, 2013)
- Economic Inquiry, Editor, Co-Editor (June, 2017)
Employed by LSU since
August 16, 2004