- General Requirements
- Course Prerequisites
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- How GPAs Are Calculated
- Previous Class Statistics
- Residency Classification
- Application Dates & Deadlines
- Interviews & Folder Reviews
- Applicant Selection Process
- Frequently Asked Questions
- DVM Transfer Applications
- How To Apply (DVM Program)
Interviews and Folder Reviews
During folder reviews, the applicant's folder is carefully scrutinized, including the supporting documents such as the personal statement, letters of recommendation (eLORs), official transcripts, work experience, and familiarity with animals and the veterinary profession. All Louisiana and Arkansas residents' application folders are reviewed; however only the Top 150 Out of State applicants will have their folders reviewed. The Out of State Top 150 List is determined based off of an overall score calculated with the Required Courses GPA, Last 45 Credit Hour GPA and GRE score.
The Faculty Committee on Admissions and Scholastic Standing, LSU SVM faculty members and outside professional practitioners review an applicant's folder, evaluating the following areas:
- Letters of Recommendation and Personal Characteristics
- Work Experience and Animal Experience
- Knowledge of Animals and Function of the Profession
- Communication Skills (Quality of Written Statements)
- Contribution to the Diversity of the Class
- Transcript Assessments (Course Load, Withdrawals, Quality of Elective Courses, etc)
- Awards, Honors and Extracurricular Activities (Civic, Scholastic, Leadership, Military, Breadth of Interests
The folder review scores are included in arriving at a final decision of recommended students for the new incoming class.
A certain number of qualified applicants are invited to interview from each applicant pool (Louisiana, Arkansas, and Puerto Rico residents). Roughly the top two-thirds of eligible Louisiana, Arkansas, and Puerto Rico applicants are interviewed. A three-member panel consisting of a member of the Admissions Committee, an LSU SVM faculty member, and an outside professional practitioner conduct a personal interview of the selected applicants, evaluating the following areas:
- Knowledge of the Profession (Economics, Opportunities, Trends, etc)
- Knowledge of Animals (Equine, Companion Animal, Exotics, Farm Animal, etc)
- Maturity / Motivation
- Professional Image
- Oral Communication Skills
- Professional Ethics
- Entrepreneurial / Business Knowledge
- Awareness of Rigors & Stress of Curriculum
- Work Ethic
The interview scores factor into selecting students for the new incoming class.
Are All Applicants Reviewed?
All Louisiana and Arkansas residents' application folders are reviewed; however, only
the Top 150 Out of State applicants will have their folders reviewed. The Out of State
Top 150 List is determined based off of an overall score calculated with the Required
Courses GPA, Last 45 Credit Hour GPA and GRE score.