You like learning about animals and their roles in our society.
About Animal Sciences
From companion animals to livestock, study all aspects of the animal industries, including
production, processing, and nutrition, as well as care of companion animals and preparation
for veterinary school. Hands-on learning, faculty-led research opportunities, and
real-world experience prepare you for exciting and challenging careers.
- Animal Sciences: Gain a general knowledge of all areas of animal science with a focus on animal production
and meat science.
- Dairy Foods Technology: Learn about animal sciences with a focus on dairy food products, production, and
- Dairy Production: Learn about animal and dairy sciences with a focus on dairy cattle production.
- Poultry Science: Learn about poultry biology, production, and management.
- Pre-veterinary Medicine: Through a partnership with the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine, students majoring
in animal, dairy, and poultry sciences or natural resource ecology and management
have the opportunity to participate in the 3+1 program. This allows you to use your
first year of veterinary school credits toward your final year in the College of Agriculture,
giving you the opportunity to earn both a BS and DVM degree in seven years.
- Science and Technology: This science-intensive curriculum is geared toward careers in research and veterinary
- Animal scientist
- Dairy production specialist
- Poultry scientist
Once you're an LSU student, you'll need to meet the requirements below to continue
pursuing this major.
- 2.0 GPA in all coursework (2.5 GPA for transfer)
- 2.0 cumulative GPA in courses toward degree requirements
- grade of "C" or better in ENGL 1001 and MATH 1021 or higher