The Graduate School administers the Graduate Student Association Travel Awards.
The Graduate Student Association offers a travel award which provides reimbursement of approved travel expenses to qualified students who attend professional conferences to present the results of their research. Attendance alone is not sufficient. Conferences must be widely recognized; university-sponsored events do not qualify. The award will be a reimbursement after both travel and an Expense Report have been completed.
The current allotments for these awards are:
- $100 for in-state travel
- $200 for out-of-state travel
- $450 for international travel
Students are eligible to receive the following number of Graduate Student Travel Awards:
- Master’s Degree students – one award during the student’s academic career.
- Doctoral Students – three awards for the student’s academic career.
- Students who transition from Master’s to Doctoral programs can receive no more than three awards during their academic career. This includes students involved in dual-enrollment and other related programs.
To be eligible for funding, a student must:
- Be presenting work completed while enrolled at LSU.
- Be listed as first author of the abstract. Consideration will be given to students who have been invited to exhibit or perform their artistic work.
- Be enrolled full time during the semester of travel as well as the Fall/Spring semester
immediately preceeding travel. The student is required to be enrolled full-time and maintain full-time enrollment
during the semester of travel. In addition, since all research for the presentation
must have been conducted while enrolled at LSU, the student is also required to have
been enrolled full-time for at least one regular semester (fall or spring) of graduate
study at LSU immediately preceding travel.
- Note: Summer enrollment is not required, but if travel is being requested for conferences during the summer, the student must have been enrolled full-time in the previous spring semester and either the summer or upcoming fall semester.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Book airfares through the state travel agency, Short’s Travel Management. Students should send an e-mail request to Arianna Creech to establish a student profile when using the site for the first time.
Applications may be submitted as early as three calendar months prior to departure
but must be received by the Graduate School no later than one calendar month prior to departure. Applications received less than one calendar month prior to departure will be denied. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the application is turned into
the Graduate School in a timely manner.
To apply for the GSA Travel Award, you must complete the Graduate Student Travel Award Application. After completing the required information, you will need to attach the following documents to the form:
- Abstract for work being presented. Abstract must include a list of authors in order of contribution. If your poster/presentation is in a discipline that requires authors to be listed in alphabetical order rather than in order of contribution, you must include a list of authors in order of contribution. (Max 1 page)
- Proof of Presentation. Attach proof of acceptance to present at the conference. This attachment may be in the form of a letter or e-mail from conference organizers and/or a copy of the conference program schedule listing the presenter's name, poster/presentation title, etc. (Max 3 Pages)
If you have submitted by the 15th of the month, you will have a response by the 15th of the next month. However, if your application was submitted after the 15th, you can expect to hear back not next month, but the following month. For example, an applicant who submits on the 14th of September will be notified by October 15th. Conversely, an applicant who submits on the 16th of September will be notified by November 15th.
Students will be notified of the GSA Committee's decision via email from GSATravelAward@lsu.edu. If approved, the notification email must be attached to the Expense Report in WorkDay to receive reimbursement.
GSA travel awards will expire thirty days after the date of return from travel. Students are responsible for providing all required documents to their departmental office promptly upon return from the trip. Departments must then submit travel reimbursement requests to the Travel Office in Accounting Services within the thirty-day deadline. Students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with PM-13 which details University Travel Regulations.
- For pre-award questions such as eligibility and application questions, email GSA@lsu.edu.
- For post-award questions regarding expense reports or other questions, email GSATravelAward@lsu.edu.