In the fall of 1987, the College of Agriculture at Louisiana State University identified
the need for a team of agriculture students to serve as representatives for the College
and University throughout the state. The group envisioned making speeches to civic
clubs and agricultural industry meetings, attending state fairs and high school career
fairs, presenting agricultural career and education information to 4-H and FFA organizations,
and assisting with the overall enhancement of the College of Agriculture.
Appropriately so, this team of exceptional students became known as the Les Voyageurs.
Just as the Voyageurs of early Louisiana history worked to transport information and
supplies to remote settings of the state, these modern day Les Voyageurs work to spread
information and interests concerning the College of Agriculture and the agricultural
industry to future college students, with hopes of producing agriculture leaders.
The Les Voyageurs continues to be an integral and successful part of the LSU College
of Agriculture. Serving as a Les Voyageur is an honor and distinction that sets student
leaders apart and provides them with opportunities for professional development and
Some benefits of being a Les Voyageur include:
- Scholarships: A $250 annual scholarship (dependent on funding and student submitting
a College of Agriculture scholarship application).
- Travel: Opportunities to travel to conferences, off campus visits, and alumni events
in state and out of state.
- Apparel: All members receive exclusive Les Voyageur apparel (including but not limited
to polos, t-shirts, and a nametag).
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 p.m. on March 3, 2017. Apply Here.
Information Session: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. in 150 Martin D. Woodin Hall; Business
- Attend the Les Voyageur Training Retreat all day August 17-19, 2017. This is MANDATORY and you will be required to stay overnight.
- Attend weekly meetings—day and time will be set before the end of the spring semester.
- Be able to commit to at least one year of service.
- Be highly motivated, energetic and have a passion for recruiting future students.
- Be willing to dedicate, on average, four hours per week to Les Voyageur duties.
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative LSU GPA.
Application & Interview Timeline:
December: Students will be notified of their eligibility to apply via e-mail
March 3, 2017: Applications are online and should be submitted by 4:30 p.m. and one letter of recommendation
from a LSU CoA faculty or staff member is due by March 6th
March 8, 2017: Candidates will be notified if they are selected for an interview
March 10, 2017: Candidates must sign up for an interview time by 4:30 p.m.
March 14 or 15, 2017: Candidates will participate in a 20 minute in person interview
March 16, 2017: Candidates will be notified of their selection
- Candidates will sign up for a 20 minute interview slot for either March 14 or 15.
- If a class excuse is needed, please notify Amanda L. Martin before the interview.
- Candidates will be asked to give a three-four minute presentation on “Why students
should choose a major in the College of Agriculture.” Please structure this presentation
as if you were presenting to a group of prospective students. You may use visual aids
or props such as posters, flip charts or poster boards BUT Power Point should NOT
be used. Be creative!
- Following the presentation, candidates will answer a series of interview questions
from the selection board.
- The selection board will be composed of faculty and staff in the College of Agriculture
— expect at least seven representatives.
Suggestions for Success:
Be on time for your interview.
Dress professionally—Business Professional Attire.
Be prepared and do your homework (Review information about the majors in the College
Give some thoughts to your skills, qualities and what you will bring to the team.
Amanda L. Martin, Director of Recruitment & Retention
firstname.lastname@example.org or 225-578-2266
Henry Hebert, Manager of Recruitment
email@example.com or 225-578-2468