LSU’s CCELL Hands Out Happy Awards
BATON ROUGE – LSU’s Center for Community Engagement, Learning and Leadership, or CCELL, has awarded 10 LSU faculty, students and community partners with the fourth-annual set of CCELL Happy Awards for excellence in service-learning.
The Happy was initiated to commemorate former CCELL director Jan Shoemaker’s 10 years of distinguished service, commitment to education and service for the common good. Shoemaker was known to occasionally give an individual a trinket that she called a “happy,” in honor of something notable that person had done to promote service-learning.
The 2014 Happy Award recipients are:
- Christopher Miguez, LSU kinesiology student;
- Christy Kayser Arrazattee, former CCELL assistant director, now the director of the
Center for Community and Civic Engagement at the University of Southern Mississippi;
- Judy Myhand, LSU nutrition and food sciences faculty member;
- Lori Martin, LSU sociology faculty;
- Melissa Bellow, community partner, East Baton Rouge Parish Library’s Carver Branch;
- Mina Posey, community partner, McKinley High School;
- N. Christy Foreman, retired LSU English faculty member;
- Paige Davis, LSU construction management faculty member;
- Theresa Townsend, community partner, Leo S. Butler Community Center; and
- Whitney Miller, LSU nutrition and food sciences faculty member.
Recipients were honored at the Happy Award and Partnership Celebration on Wednesday, Nov. 12, at the Carver Branch Library. Each Happy Award winner received a lapel pin designed in honor of Shoemaker and a certificate of appreciation. The celebration served as an opportunity to recognize Happy Award winners and to honor the work of all members of the service-learning community.
CCELL promotes community engagement by serving as a clearinghouse for service-learning pedagogy and community partnerships; promotes scholarship by informing and helping to coordinate planning, research, pedagogy and assessment associated with service-learning and civic engagement; and enhances student learning and leadership skills by facilitating service-learning and related student initiatives. For more information on CCELL, visit www.lsu.edu/ccell.